1 reply [Last post]
groovy mike's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
NY wildlife events - late march 2011

FYI - NY wildlife events - late march 2011:

Snowy with a Chance of Salamanders
Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve & EEC
Saturday, March 19, 2011 10:30 AM
With the return of spring, we will explore the spring pools and search under logs for spotted salamanders. This is the time of year for them to lay their eggs and a chance for us to get a rare glimpse of this secretive creature. Registration required; call 716-683-5959 to sign up. For directions, please visit the Reinstein Woods web page.

Spring Equinox Night Walk
Monday, March 21, 2011 7:00 PM
Take a night walk along the trails as we observe constellations and planets more visible in the spring. We may also see beavers swimming in Lily Pond and hear the spring peepers. Registration required; call 716-683-5959 to sign up. For directions, please visit the Reinstein Woods web page.

IS IT SPRING?
Five Rivers Environmental Education Center
Friday, March 25, 2011 7:00 PM
The voices of the season seem to come alive at dusk to proclaim the end of winter. Join us on an outdoor search for geese, peepers, woodcock and other sounds of a spring evening to hear whether spring has sprung. For directions, please visit the Five Rivers web page.

March Migrations
Saturday, March 26, 2011 10:00 AM
Which animals are getting ready for their spring migrations? Join us on this guided tour as we learn about the animals that are on their way to Reinstein Woods. Registration required; call 716-683-5959 to sign up. For directions, please visit the Reinstein Woods web page.

arrowflipper's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Groovy Mike

You have way too much time on your hands... how do you find the time to go do all that stuff?  While you're looking for the spotted salamander, I'll be checking the treetops outside my house, looking for the spotted owl.  Haven't seen too many owls but I see bald eagles almost every day.  I never get tired of watching those great birds soaring on the wind.  A powerful bird that makes flying look so completely effortless.  Their nests look something like a giant treehouse in size.  We have several nesting pairs within a couple of miles of our house.  Later this month, our area hosts a weekend of bird watching.