5 replies [Last post]
Nov 29,30 and Dec 1, 2 .......tactics?

I have a gun tag for the 2nd season on the dates mentioned above....goign to use my 44 mag handgun

I've never gun hunted for deer....and this is only my 2nd season deer hunting all together....so forgive me if this is a beginner question

whats the best tactics for this time of year? stalking? or still? rattle? calls? scents?

barring any definative answer one way or the other i was going to try both ways since i took the days off work

i think its too early for estrus scents for 2nd rut right?

is it a good time to rattle? can I rattle and stalk hunt at the same time? I have a "rattle bag" thats pretty compact...

what else?!

help is very appreciated!

redrider's picture

Around here the ruttin' activity is usual done by then. We usually turn to food sources and possibly drives if we're not seeing anything. Stalking may work, bucks will probably bedded up taking a rest. Don't imagine rattling will do much at this point, and I wouldn't try rattling and stalking. At times when rattling is right, the bucks will be looking for where that commotion came from. Best to sit still and let them come to you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out Thumbs up

thanks for the reply....

drives wont work for me since i think they are illegal in IL and I'm hunting alone (public land permit)

I'll try still hunting in some key places i know and hope for the best.

Should i bother with the climbing tree stand? or go from the ground?

I'm leaning toward ground so I can be more mobile

thanks!

redrider's picture

Tough call Think But if you are seeing movement I would get into a tree to keep the scent at a min., but as long as you can stalk with the wind in your face you might be able to close in on one. Maybe try the stand early morning and if not seeing anything get down and work your way into the wind. Good Luck Thumbs up

I believe stand hunting is your best opportunity for that time of year. Find where they are feeding and where they are bedding. Get as close as you can to the bedding area without spooking them. If there is good cover, I would prefer a treestand. If it's a bit sparse, I would try a good ground blind or hunting tent.

GOOD LUCK!

Still hunt!

If I were you I would definately try still hunting. Im from Vermont and traveled to kansas last year with My dad and a buddy. Dad shot a 150 7/8 buck, while I took a nice 9 point and my buddy a respectable 8 point. The best part is it was all on public land. Weve found that in the beginning of december the deer wont be moving great on public land because of all the pressure, so we get them moving! Deer are used to being subjected to drives on public land, but not still hunters. This is great for the still hunters because those big smart whitetails can be caught watching you sneek by them, because this is what they are accustomed to doing on drives. Go very slow,(100 yards an hour), through thickets, and eventually you will get a shot at a nice buck.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Post Rut Hunting TacticsCVC512/02/2010 14:22 pm
Post rut tactics for bucks need some feedback?brandonhill55312/28/2006 17:33 pm
Tactics?spinner612/06/2007 10:46 am
Our government and gangster tacticscowgal306/27/2009 16:33 pm
DIY in ColoradoBoot705/28/2007 16:21 pm