12 replies [Last post]
BuckBuster26's picture
No success 2nd season GMU 3 & 301

Just returned from our 2nd season deer hunt in NW colorado GMU 3 & 301 with no success.... Saw a lot of elk sign which is unusual for the area that early. As to the deer in the area their were almost non to speak of which my family and i found very odd... The past few years we have seen 100's of deer every section we have hunting in these units. Talked to a wildlife officer from meeker and he said the deer had moved up high last spring and their has been to much food and not enough snow to move them down into the area and the winter kill was moderate to normal.  We never really have hunted unit 301 because it is 90% private. Later in the week decided to take a drive through the unit since we wernt seeing anyting in area 3 we came upon some private land with id say 6 4x4 trucks driving around a 3 mile by 3 mile square we decided to glass the area they kept driving around and come to see id say 100 deer or better with some really really nice bucks in the middle of where they were driving. we took out our map and noticed that this persons land borders BLM land and they were "deer driving" keeping them off the BLM land on on the private so they could charge and  almost garantee their customers a deer. We stopped one of the trucks and they admited to doing this and he said he couldnt talk much longer he had to finish his deer drive so that his wife could fill her tag. I found this amazing and rediculus.

anyone else hunt these areas 2nd season how did you do????

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Sorry to hear you did not

Sorry to hear you did not fill you tags. As for the deer drive I would have called DOW and reported it as it is illegal. I know some ranches over by Yellowjacket that have done the same thing and have been fined. These folks may own the land but they do not own the animals. Pretty sad they do this and then call themselves hunters.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Bummer that you didn't get

Bummer that you didn't get into any deer.  However, looks like you might have found a new place to hunt elk.  Running into them were you didn't expect to is a good thing.  Nice added bonus!

Interesting to see the guys doing the deer drives.  Were they actually driving deer to hunters who were sitting on stand or something, or were they just sort of corralling them to keep them on private land?  Either way, maybe not illegal, but surely unethical.  Understandable that they have a business to run, but they should leave the deer to their natural movements.

Anyway, sorry you didn't have any luck!  Maybe next time.  Any more hunts lined up this year?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
It is sad to say but as long

It is sad to say but as long as the ones driving the trucks were on private property or actual roads on the BLM they were doing noting wrong.  Unethical but nothing illegal. 

BuckBuster26's picture
this is true

this is true they were doing nothing wrong or illegal, which is why we didnt report them. surely unethical and wrong. the only thing that really bothered me was when we talked to the guy he told us to go over to the BLM land that borders the property and he had seen a few nice bucks that morning by a windmill. Now he knew we were on the BLM land and we saw the deer herd moving from the private and on its way over to the BLM land, as we started to move into position to wait out their crossing we noticed one of their "deer drive" trucks parked on the border right where they would cross keeping them from moving over to the BLM land. Once the deer saw the truck they turned around and stayed on the private and the truck then left. What can ya do.....

Its too bad some people can

Its too bad some people can be that selfish not giving other hunters  the chance to fill a tag.

hunter25's picture
Well that situation sucks for

Well that situation sucks for sure. Sorry you didn't get into the deer as I've always heard those are good areas. I've only hunted them for antelope myself but you don't get to do that very often. I have seen this practice in other areas in trying to keep game inside ranch boudries and it's really upsetting. The other thing that gets me is when the ranches only put up signs on the borders of thier property in sucha way as to make it look like the public is private as well. If you don't know your maps it can get confusing. I've had them try to chase me off of public land before thinking I didn't know.

I saw this up in unit 10 some last month.

BuckBuster26's picture
yes unit 10

hunter25 wrote:

Well that situation sucks for sure. Sorry you didn't get into the deer as I've always heard those are good areas. I've only hunted them for antelope myself but you don't get to do that very often. I have seen this practice in other areas in trying to keep game inside ranch boudries and it's really upsetting. The other thing that gets me is when the ranches only put up signs on the borders of thier property in sucha way as to make it look like the public is private as well. If you don't know your maps it can get confusing. I've had them try to chase me off of public land before thinking I didn't know.

I saw this up in unit 10 some last month.

Yes unit 10 can be tricky i have been in the area and yes the privite is marked very confusingly. We also found it very very strange to not find any deer in the godiva rim area and south to the town of maybell. and when i say we didnt see any deer their were 6 of us walking the ravines and driving the trails in all the public land for 5 days and not even seeing a doe. years past you would see deer on every ridge and scare them out of every draw while walking!! like i said the deer we did see was mostly in area 301 in all the checker board private and public stuff but that wasnt until the last day of our hunt after the little snow storm.

COMeatHunter's picture
I've never seen anyone trying

I've never seen anyone trying to keep game in a specific area by driving their vehicles on the roads. I have seen poorly posted properties though that makes it much more difficult to tell exactly where the public-private boundaries are.  Makes me mad when it's done intentionally to confuse public land hunters.  It's already hard enough to make sure you're hunting the right properties, making an effort to be sure you are not trespassing unintentionally.  

Too bad about the lack of deer in unit 3.  I wasn't hunting unit 3 2nd season, but I've been there before and seen lots of deer.  Kind of unusual to not be finding deer there.

Retired2hunt's picture
  The lack of ethics of these

The lack of ethics of these people (not true hunters so I didn't use that word) will eventually catch up to them.  Just a matter of time.  Sorry to hear of your lack of deer.  Good to hear that you saw some elk sign - always a good thing for possible future hunt.  I didn't hunt 2nd season but get to go out again 4th season in a nice area.  Two weeks and counting down!  Good luck on your future hunts!

Just read the regs... this stuff IS ILLEGAL

I read this thread and said "wait a sec.'  Then I pulled out a copy of the 2011 Colorado Big Game Regs.

I'm no lawyer and I don't play one on TV.  However if I turn to page 17 I see a list of 28 things that are illegal.  Number 15 covers interference with hunters and references the use of vehicles to chase prey.  Using vehicles to prevent game from crossing on to public land where hunters are present seems to be a clear violation of 15.

Number 26 covers the posting of public land with bogus signs.

If you see this stuff document everything you can (GPS coordinates, license plate numbers, names, dates, times, digital photos) AND CALL CDOW and/or the local sheriff and insist they take a formal report.  Then call them a week later and ask how the matter was resolved.  Finally, if you think you truly gave them enough evidence for a prosecution and they balked at investigating or prosecuting, dial up the heat with a factual and even-tempered email to your state legislators and the wildlife commissioners.

Remember, just like any public agency, CDOW goes to great lengths to protect its image with the public and the legislative body that controls its budget.  Complaints and inquiries that come from a state legislator are generally received at a very high level in agency, and the agency generally cannot give the legislator a weak or fuzzy response.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Rogue-Umpqua Divide Success ?Stoneke010/27/2009 10:09 am
Pref pts and draw successAaron77505/25/2012 18:11 pm
3rd rifle...GMU 59 or 47?flewthecoupe808/30/2012 19:54 pm
OTC 2nd season elk advicemountain10mm007/15/2010 11:17 am
Anybody have success Colorado 1st Rifle?Adam_R510/28/2013 12:43 pm