43 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined: 06/17/2009
Posts: 30
NM Unit 45 for Elk

Got my first elk tag. Bow 9/1 - 9-22. Unit 45 is the Santa Fe National Forest which includes the Pecos Wilderness. And trying to do everything possible to increase my odds. It was my third choice behind Unit 34 and 36. Got a friend who is a proven hunter and offered to go with me to help. Already got some quadrant maps from BLM and ordered some Forest Sevice maps of trails off thier web-site. My friend wants to try and get as much info of the concentration of elk as possible. Gonna start scouting this weekend or next. E-mailed and left a phone message for the local fish cop but he hasn't asnwered my inquiries. My friend prefers to stay off the Wilderness. I can understand his motivations. We don't have horses. But we will pack it out if thats where there at. I do have an ATV. But there's no travel management map for this Nation Forest. Looking at the BLM map I should be able to get fairly close to a kill using the logging roads in the National Forest. I wish the conservation officer would reply for a definite answer on retrieving downed game. Can you tell I'm psyched for this hunt? Any help for this unit would be appreciated for a lifetime! Thanks!

exbiologist's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Colorado
Joined: 09/19/2008
Posts: 2399
NM Unit 45 for Elk

Hi and welcome to BGH. Congrats on the drawing, I haven't hunted that unit, but I can take a look at it for you and tell you what I would do, but that's without any working knowledge of the area.
As you can see right now, New Mexico information is kinda hard to come by.

Offline
Joined: 06/17/2009
Posts: 30
NM Unit 45 for Elk

I just got the Forest Service map of the Santa Fe National Forest which includes the Pecos Wilderness and a map of just the wilderness with all the trails. Nice. Plenty of unimproved roads that I can use my ATV outside the boundary of the wilderness up to 11,500 feet elevation. I know the Northern part of Unit 45 has a reputation for big ones. But arriving from the south I'll be hunting the southern end of the National Forest. Pretty much to the North in between Pecos and Las Vegas, NM along I-25. Matter of fact I don't know if you heard but its right about where a rescue helicopter crashed last week after picking up a lost hiker. There was snow still on the ground. I am getting so psyched to go do some scouting. Yes

Offline
Location: SW Mtns. NM
Joined: 05/04/2008
Posts: 227
NM Unit 45 for Elk

I hunted it last year and it's a great area,easy access if you look at the FS map and stay away from roads. Go into the Pecos Widerness on foot. You don't have to go way back where packers are.Good luck and good hunting,it was my 3rd choice too, but I drew my first.The Warden is friend and is very busy but if you leave mess. he usually replies.

Offline
Joined: 06/17/2009
Posts: 30
NM Unit 45 for Elk
henry wilkins wrote:
I hunted it last year and it's a great area,easy access if you look at the FS map and stay away from roads. Go into the Pecos Widerness on foot. You don't have to go way back where packers are.Good luck and good hunting,it was my 3rd choice too, but I drew my first.The Warden is friend and is very busy but if you leave mess. he usually replies.

He had a good article in the New Mexico Wilderness quarterly publication. Got most of the questions answered. Thanks for the extra help!

Offline
Joined: 06/29/2009
Posts: 22
unit 45 hunt

Hey i was drawn for unit 45 as well but i was drawn for the season after your's, the muzzleloader archery season. can i contact you after you do some scouting and after your hunt? maybe by that time you will be able to help me out some. I have never hunted in NM. I will be doing about a week of scouting at the end of july but thats all the time i could get off work aside form the time for the hunt and I live in CA so i'm not exactly close. But any help you can offer along the way would be much appreciated. Good Luck with your hunt!!!

Offline
Joined: 06/17/2009
Posts: 30
Re: unit 45 hunt
gameboy100 wrote:
Hey i was drawn for unit 45 as well but i was drawn for the season after your's, the muzzleloader archery season. can i contact you after you do some scouting and after your hunt? maybe by that time you will be able to help me out some. I have never hunted in NM. I will be doing about a week of scouting at the end of july but thats all the time i could get off work aside form the time for the hunt and I live in CA so i'm not exactly close. But any help you can offer along the way would be much appreciated. Good Luck with your hunt!!!

Not a problem. I'll be around.

Offline
Joined: 10/09/2008
Posts: 1
NM Unit 45 for Elk

Tankhead,
I drew again for Area 45 as well for the first session in the rifle season. I did not have any success last year. I stayed at Jacks Creek Campground and loved it. Where do you plan on staying? When you finish your hunt I would like to talk to you so I can hopefully have a successful hunt this year. Thanks.

Offline
Joined: 06/17/2009
Posts: 30
NM Unit 45 for Elk
glock210 wrote:
Tankhead,
I drew again for Area 45 as well for the first session in the rifle season. I did not have any success last year. I stayed at Jacks Creek Campground and loved it. Where do you plan on staying? When you finish your hunt I would like to talk to you so I can hopefully have a successful hunt this year. Thanks.

I want to leave my truck somewhere near Torreon, in think its called,

Offline
Joined: 06/29/2009
Posts: 22
scouting

I was just wondering how your scouting has been going, if you have don any yet. I set out tonight for NM and with be scouting in the holy ghost creek area and around the Katherine lake area.

Offline
Joined: 06/17/2009
Posts: 30
NM Unit 45 for Elk

No, I haven't gone out yet. Gonna go in the middle of August. Not planning on going hunting until 9/14 - 9/22. Anxious on gettin up there and looking for a camping area though. Not gonna stay in the campgrounds. I will definitely give a post after I go scout.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
New Mexico Unit Number 17rookie hunter406/27/2005 21:07 pm
Unit 47 coloradoJeremyzx900r101/22/2013 08:32 am
Silver Lake UnitAllensGirl83510/12/2009 20:36 pm
NEW MEXICO Unit 15BArchery1210/15/2002 21:32 pm
Unit 66 or unit 67 muzzleloaderhunterkurt001/05/2011 08:55 am