7 replies [Last post]
niceshot_smitty's picture
New stuff for Hunting in New Mexico 2012-13

Hey everybody, just thought i would get this out there.  New Mexico is going paperless in the draw.  It will all take place online now to save the state money. 

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Thanks for the update. I

Thanks for the update. I didn't pay attention before but they must have offered both options in the  past? I applied last year for the first time down there with all online applications. Only for antelope and Oryx but it is actually a pretty easy system that they have. I was unsuccessful for both but will probably try again hits coming year also. The Oryx choices are fairly straight forward but I was a little lost with the antelope as I'm not sure what areas have enough public land. I saw quite a few when we drove through the north east corner yesterday on the way back from Texas though.

I need to get some maps to check it out better for sure if I apply again. I will have to check out the other regs aswell as I heard there are other changes for us non resident guys.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
We just started doing that

We just started doing that this year in California.  It's actually pretty cnvenient.  Just tell the gal when you are buying the license, what are your first, second, and third choices.  Easy as that.

Good to see New Mexico getting into the modern age.  Should make it easier for us out of staters too.  Also Smitty, wanted to ask you a question.  Have you ever hunted the Caldera hunt before? Opinion?  From what I see, it's gorgeous, with some awesome animals.

I have hunted the Caldera 3

I have hunted the Caldera 3 times for elk, once with bow for bulls and 2 times with Muzzleloader for cows.  I have also been up there on 2 other times with other peoples hunts.  both of them where out of state hunters that i meet through friends.  Both killed nice bulls in the Rifle season.  It is a very nice place to hunt if you can get a tag.  it is a lottery draw done by the Valles Caldera its self.  then if you are lucky to get a tag you then have to go to the game and fish and get a elk permet.  Its almost like getting a land owners tag but through a draw steyem.   It a wonderful place and the area is managed for bigger bulls.  I will say this though, 1/3 of the hunting area on the Caldera did burn this last summer.  Hope it only gets better.  

numbnutz's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Congrats to NM for getting

Congrats to NM for getting into the 21st century lol . For as long as I can remember thats how it's been done in Oregon. Even before I could hunt I remember standing with my dad at the sporting good store getting his licences and putting in for the draws and giving the rep his hunt choices. It was about 5 years ago the ODFW added the feature of doing it from home from their website via an internet connection. I'm not sure why anyone would use paper anymore.

JSmitty's picture
NM has had online apps for

NM has had online apps for the last 8 years, the state also excepted paper apps during this time but that has now come to an end. 

The problem with the antelope hunt is it is allmost all on privet or leased land, I have not been able to draw a tag for 25 + years. I cant gripe much though I drew oryx and ibex on my first application.

James

yeah with the antelope

yeah with the antelope hunting if you hunt during the rifle hunts they put you on the ranchs, but if you hunt with bow you are on your own to find a place to hunt.  Plus getting a antelope tag in this state throw the draw is like winning the maga millions.  There is also some changes coming up on the orxy hunts this next year.  Your best bet is to pay really close to the book when it is put out.  (hint put in for the later oryx hunts)

Good for New Mexico to go

Good for New Mexico to go Eco.It will keep the hippies in check so they can't bag about that. I'm glad California did this, or else all of us in California would have liberals breathing down our necks.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like