20 replies [Last post]
New Rem. 700

I purchased a Remington 700 bdl 30-06 with a Leupold VX II 3-9x40 scope. It is almost a year old, but has never been fired. All other weapons i have owned were previously shot. So i was told by my cousin that you should "break in" a new rifle. I could see why, like breaking in a new quad. I was just wondering what your opinions on breaking in a new weapon were, and how you would go about doing it. Shoot it once, clean it, repeat several times , don't let barrel get hot... blah blah... Seeing as how i have never had to do this i was just interested. ...

Or is there no such thing as breaking in a new gun.

New Rem. 700

I don't think there is any break-in technique. Take it to the range and try it. Personally, I would have it apart and do a glass bedding job on it if not already done. My sons 700 BDL in 30.06 was a tack driver right out the box. He wouldn't allow Old dad to go near it with a screwdriver .

New Rem. 700

That was done. Thanks, I love the gun and i just want to take care of it. What i think i am going to do, what i could find so far on "breaking in" a barrel is some people do it some people don't. But what i found for the most part went, go to the range to sight in, shoot it 1 then clean it, let it cool then repeat several times. then shoot it 2 and clean it, then let it cool , repeat several times. and just dont let it get hot. Some of the articles that i found said do that all the way up to five shots, over the coarse of like 2 days....

Don Fischer's picture
New Rem. 700

I've done those break in things and don't know that it accomplished anything. I don't believe it would be that easy to prove either for once you go shoot it a bunch without breaking it in, how do you reverse th process to break it in to see some sort of difference. Myself, I think the break in theory is just that, theory. Those that believe in it can't proove it works and those that don't can't prove it doesn't.

Ity all started when to guys that really were well versed in shooting ran out of something to talk about.

CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
New Rem. 700

I don't know if it is necessary or not, but....

It doesn't take long to shoot it five times cleaning in between so if it does matter you're covered and if it doesn't, well you didn't lose much time.

New Rem. 700

Every rifle will shoot better (because the paractice will help the shooter) if you put that amount of bullets down range. It is a good way to practice no matter if it seasons the barrel or not.

New Rem. 700

If it were a custom barrel I'd say maybe. For factory barrel just shoot em up and clean em when your done. Anything better than 1 MOA is gravy for a hunting gun. Find a load that shoots and go hunting.

I honastly belive more barrels are killed by over cleaning thses days rather than over shooting. I'm no expert but do have a bunch of training in LE precision rifle/instructor. For my hunting and sniper rifles I shoot and clean the carbon and powder foul out at the end of the day. If you do it while the barrels hot it makes it much easyer. I only use copper removal stuff (JB Bore paste, my prefered) when my accuracy begins to suffer. This usually occurs around 275-300 rounds but each gun will vary.

My 2 cents, Best of luck and enjoy.

WesternHunter's picture
New Rem. 700

I have to agree with some of the other posters here. There are written and precsribed break-in techniques, but I've never noticed that they do ya any good or help with any accuracy. I personally think that these techniques have been written and prescribed just to keep the gun care companies in business and your wallet empty.

Just clean it well before you fire it for the first time (to romove any factory grease or testfire residue). Just don't over heat your barrel and you'll be fine. Don't put more than 15 rounds through it your first time at the range. Also allow some time between shots for the barrel to cool down. My general rule is if it's too hot to touch, then it's too hot to keep firing it, so then let it cool. Clean it after each range session using a good nitro powder solvent, brass cleaning rod and bronze phosphore bore brush and plenty of flannel patches. About every 50 to 75 rounds use a good copper solvent (Barnes CR-10 or Sweets 7.62) to keep copper jacket fouling in check. Don't use bronze or brass brushes or jags when using a copper solvent, instead use stiff nylon brushes and a steel rod for copper fouling removal.

New Rem. 700

everyone has there own opinions on it but when i bought my new 300wsm browning from the local gun shop the gunsmith told me to not even bother cleaning the grease out before the first shot. he said just to shoot it and it would clean itself out.(i wasnt gonna argue with a man with 50 some years experience in gunsmithing) so i did what he said and everything turned out fine as far as i'm concerned. the gun is more then accurate enough for any hunting rifle! just my 2 cents...good luck!! Thumbs up

New Rem. 700

I wouldn't be firing any firearm with the barrel filled(or coated) with packing grease. My reason is this TOO DANGEROUS. Barrel can burst, firearm can blow up, grease acts like mud would in a barrel creating extreme,EXTREME pressure(hydraulic effect).
Now any Gunsmith that tells anyone that you can "blow it out with a bullet" is nothing short of totally incompetent, maybe the gentleman is just too old to be playing with guns.
CHECK ALL FIREARMS FOR BARREL OBSTRUCTION BEFORE USING.

New Rem. 700

ASK AROUND NEW BRUNSWICK ABOUT GEORGE CASEY IN ROGERSVILLE. YOU'LL HEAR NOTHING BUT GREAT REMARKS...HE HAS RECENTLY PASSED ON AT THE AGE OF 86 WITH CANCER..... AND NO I DONT THINK HE WAS INCOMPETANT PAL... HE'D FORGET MORE IN THE 60 YRS THEN US LADS WILL EVER KNOW!!!.... HAVE A NICE DAY!!