4 replies [Last post]
New to Colorado GMU 015 - First rifle elk

I'm new to GMU 015 area -was wondering on best areas to avoid the crowds and get best chance at success. It appears dirt road from Rabbit Ears to Gore Pass area gets plenty of pressure-just from the numerous old hunting camping spots. How is Sarvis Wilderness?
Thanks.

exbiologist's picture

Welcome to BGH, you've come to the right place Thumbs up

There are a lot of tags for unit 15 during first season. And the road access is almost too good, even the wilderness is downhill from the road south of Rabbit Ears Pass. So there will be pretty good pressure.
This is one of those places where it's very important to think about what pressure will do to the elk. I would try to intersect them in Sarvis Creek Wilderness in one of the major drainages running west of the road in. Or you can try sitting on a saddle in the middle of Sarvis Creek Wilderness. Pressure from 27 and FS100 should drive elk down towards you and pressure from Sarvis Creek SWA and Silver Creek should push them up the drainages to you.

Never hunted it before, but I've hunted close and my thought was always to hunt up towards Sarvis from Stagecoach Res if you can find public access.

hunt4duck wrote:
Never hunted it before, but I've hunted close and my thought was always to hunt up towards Sarvis from Stagecoach Res if you can find public access.

Yes Thought of coming in that way (the pressure will come in from north and east I think), but access seems very limited from the west. There is a couple of trails though north a bit (along service creek i think).

exbiologist wrote:
Welcome to BGH, you've come to the right place Thumbs up

There are a lot of tags for unit 15 during first season. And the road access is almost too good, even the wilderness is downhill from the road south of Rabbit Ears Pass. So there will be pretty good pressure.
This is one of those places where it's very important to think about what pressure will do to the elk. I would try to intersect them in Sarvis Creek Wilderness in one of the major drainages running west of the road in. Or you can try sitting on a saddle in the middle of Sarvis Creek Wilderness. Pressure from 27 and FS100 should drive elk down towards you and pressure from Sarvis Creek SWA and Silver Creek should push them up the drainages to you.

Thanks for welcome and response. I think your correct the easy access appears to be along FS100 and trail's from west. I'm planning on taking some time probably late aug to get a better idea of terrain from FS100 down into Sarvis Wild. Do you know how bad the beetles have worked over the area? I I was over there few weeks ago and can't recall huge areas of dead tree stands from the beetles. Last year I noticed the elk and deer stayed away from those huge stands.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado GMU 76 Third Rifle Elkelk cowman010/25/2009 20:22 pm
best rifle for Colorado big gameTitan_Bow804/08/2007 17:38 pm
Sighting rifle Question?FLdem809/19/2008 22:35 pm
Colorado 2ND rifle dates ?buckykm11702/19/2013 14:14 pm
Colorado First Rifle Seasondustinr1977505/18/2009 14:17 pm