12 replies [Last post]
Offline
Location: ohio
Joined: 10/26/2008
Posts: 1
New acquisitions

Hiya new to the forums just got my first muzzleloaders a T/C Firehawk and a CVA Bobcat both .50 cal. My issue is when i got home i noticed pitting inside the barrels looks like mostly superficial my question is will this dramatically effect accuracy. I cleaned both firearms with T/C bore butter and T/C cleaner so i dont believe further deterioration will occur. Just was worried about the pitting and accuracy also any suggestions on loads/projectiles for deer hunting in ohio. We have some large deer I had considered 200g with 80g tri 7 trying to get a flatter trajectory any input would be great. Thank yall and nice forums

saskie's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: West Carleton, Ottawa, Canada
Joined: 12/23/2002
Posts: 1264
New acquisitions

Try 180 grain bullets - that's my next "project"

Offline
Location: mirabel quebec canada
Joined: 01/02/2009
Posts: 70
New acquisitions

180 gr. bullet is for a center fire ...Lotechredneck is inquiring a bullet for a .50cal muzzleloader bullet ..i suggest a 250 gr. bullet

saskie's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: West Carleton, Ottawa, Canada
Joined: 12/23/2002
Posts: 1264
New acquisitions
heinz57 wrote:
180 gr. bullet is for a center fire ...Lotechredneck is inquiring a bullet for a .50cal muzzleloader bullet ..i suggest a 250 gr. bullet

I forget who makes them, but there are 180gr .50cal bullets available.

When I was home I was chatting with an old high school buddy who's also into Black powder. He shoots them and reccomended I try them out to flatten the trajectory out.

Offline
Location: mirabel quebec canada
Joined: 01/02/2009
Posts: 70
New acquisitions

large deer need a heavy load ,.250gr. minimum ,we used to shoot 250gr. SST HORNADY same as the SHOCKWAVE ,very accurate on paper .but for hunting they would PENCIL through the deer very little internal damage .next to nothing blood trail . we lost 4 deers ,all were well shot ,but they ran into the thick bush ,and with no snow on the ground we lost them ..next year we shall use the BARNES SPITFIRE TMZ 250 GR. solid copper bullet that opens like a flower devastating for deer ..

http://www.cabelas.ca/show_prod.php?product_id=394001&cat_id=54&subcat_i...

Offline
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Joined: 10/06/2007
Posts: 274
New acquisitions

You let the injured perhaps dead deers in the thicket without further searching? In Germany you have the necessity of owning a hunting dog or knowing a dog owner who has the duty to come and search for woundedd deer. Normally if it is hitten well you find it.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Offline
Location: mirabel quebec canada
Joined: 01/02/2009
Posts: 70
New acquisitions
Kirrmeister wrote:
You let the injured perhaps dead deers in the thicket without further searching? In Germany you have the necessity of owning a hunting dog or knowing a dog owner who has the duty to come and search for woundedd deer. Normally if it is hitten well you find it.

Regards

Kirrmeister

hunting with dogs or trailing big game is not permitted here ..were we hunt the bush is very thick ..[ we searched for at least 2 hours] and i have tracked a lot of wounded deer in my 45 odd years of hunting ..we were shooting with .250 gr. HORNADY SST and the bullet would just PENCIL through the deer .no blood trail .we found one almost a 1/4 of a mile from were it was shot ..usualy we have snow on the ground the 22 of november so tracking them is easy ..next year we shall use the BARNES TMZ .250gr.

ps. don't compare your deer with the deer in canada some of our BUCKS weigh over 250 pounds ..

Offline
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Joined: 10/06/2007
Posts: 274
New acquisitions

Dear Sir,

why should I not compare our german deer with yours over there. Here in Germany a big red buck can also have about 120 to 140 kg/240 to 280 pds. We also have really big wild boars here with similar weights.

My thoughts were that you must have hit these deer anywhere, normally in the boilerroom. It doesn't matter if there is a blood trail or not or if the bullet went right though the deer without expanding. So if you didn't find them at all did you think it was more a misshot or even a bad shot into the muscles or legs?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Offline
Location: mirabel quebec canada
Joined: 01/02/2009
Posts: 70
New acquisitions
Kirrmeister wrote:
Dear Sir,

why should I not compare our german deer with yours over there. Here in Germany a big red buck can also have about 120 to 140 kg/240 to 280 pds. We also have really big wild boars here with similar weights.

My thoughts were that you must have hit these deer anywhere, normally in the boilerroom. It doesn't matter if there is a blood trail or not or if the bullet went right though the deer without expanding. So if you didn't find them at all did you think it was more a misshot or even a bad shot into the muscles or legs?

Regards

Kirrmeister

you are totaly right sir ...i completly forgot the red stag ..my mistake !!all i can say is that the deer were hit in the boilerroom ..like i said no snow on the ground traking them through the bush wasnext to imposible ...picture below is of 2 bucks that i shot on ANTICOSTI ISLAND ..a few years ago ...i shot a 9 and a 6 pointer ..

url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=148&u=10060487][/url]

Offline
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Joined: 10/06/2007
Posts: 274
New acquisitions

Hi heinz571

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil to these nice bucks!

Because of searching after wounded deer for me as a german hunter it is completely unbeleavable that you are not allowed to use dogs for this job. A dog is better than any tracker, especially when there is no snow.

Last year I shot a buck with ML, .490 PRB, 90 grs FFg. The buck ran away, but because of muzzlesmoke I couldn't see where, I guessed to the rigth side. At the place where I shot at him I only found much hair. So I knew I got him. But I couldn't find any blood trail, even when i was stalking around in circles around the place. So I called my college and his foxterrier. He put the dog at the place where the hair was and the dog moved at once with high speed towards a thicket, in the thicket he ran a bit crosscountry, but then he got the buck. It was a 6 pointer. i hit him into the boileroom and the liver, the ball exited at the diaphragma, but while the buck was moving the holes were closed by fat and fur, so no blood at all. This blood was all inside the buck.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Offline
Location: mirabel quebec canada
Joined: 01/02/2009
Posts: 70
New acquisitions
saskie wrote:
heinz57 wrote:
180 gr. bullet is for a center fire ...Lotechredneck is inquiring a bullet for a .50cal muzzleloader bullet ..i suggest a 250 gr. bullet

I forget who makes them, but there are 180gr .50cal bullets available.

When I was home I was chatting with an old high school buddy who's also into Black powder. He shoots them and reccomended I try them out to flatten the trajectory out.

saskie are these the bullets u wanted to show me ...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_D...