4 replies [Last post]
Quicksilver's picture
New 5.56X45 Round...

Military adopted a new AP Round...It kind of looks like an SS109 with the copper jacket removed.  Crusing around online I found a cross section picturce of the new M855A1 and it appears the Steel Pin extends almost to the base.  With all that extra weight, I wonder if it's going to be heavier than 77 grains, and what the military will do for M4 Barrels... 1-7 Twist?

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/scitech/2010/06/02/military-tech-action...

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I've seen several reviews of

I've seen several reviews of the new round but a lot of them just don't make much sence.  On is that it is a better round than a 7.62 against a hardened target witch is hard to believe.  Along with a higher velosity and less muzzle flash out of a shorter barrel 14" vrs 20".  Only time will tell but if it is a lot like what goes on in the military it will go through a lot of R&D before it is an effective replacement and it seams that the only place that real R&D goes on is on the battle field. 

Quicksilver's picture
Agreed

Critter wrote:

I've seen several reviews of the new round but a lot of them just don't make much sence.  On is that it is a better round than a 7.62 against a hardened target witch is hard to believe.  Along with a higher velosity and less muzzle flash out of a shorter barrel 14" vrs 20". 

I know right! Hard to believe that a 5.56X45 could compete with 7.62X51 for foot pounds of energy.  Shorter barrels usually means more powder flash considering less barrel to burn all the powder and that translates into lower velocity. I'm glad I'm not the only one confused?

WesternHunter's picture
AP Rounds?

Mybe the military should go back to using the effective 7.62mm rounds in their battle rifles.

Quicksilver's picture
Maybe...

WesternHunter wrote:

Mybe the military should go back to using the effective 7.62mm rounds in their battle rifles.

I don't think the 7.62X51 is a solve all solution...  Can't shoot everything with a 300 Remington Ultra Mag even though the end result is the same. It's just not right, the 5.56 has a place in the world, but I agree in certain situations the 7.62 is probably a better choice.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like