2 replies [Last post]
jkhuntsbg's picture
Nevada Unit 061, 071 Elk

I got a call last night from a Nevada outfitter congratulating me on drawing Unit 061, 071 for Bull Elk first Rifle season. I thought it was a prank call at first, I didn't expect this to say the least. I also put in for Oregon on a private ranch either sex which happens to be the same time since I thought I had a better chance winning the Lottery than drawing the Nevada tag. Oh well ... I guess I won't be going to Oregon.

Anybody hunted 061, 071 for Elk? I'm pretty sure I'll go with an outfitter so if anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it.

Jerry

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Very nice!  Funny that an

Very nice!  Funny that an outfitter called you before you even knew. For him being that upfront, I might just pass him over......lol

Good luck! From what I am reading online, they say they are both good units, the only negative to 61 is that the elk will run over the border to Idaho when pressure picks up, and there may be more atv guys......

jkhuntsbg's picture
Outfitter

I agree with you Vermonster about the outfitter. I will pass him over, but I haven't given up going alone. If I had a buddy to go with me I wouldn't hesitate hunting the area without an outfitter. But my friends are going on other hunts. I have heard the same thing about unit 61 when the weather changes and hunting pressure is on they head for Idaho.

I've heard Copper Mtn. in unit 71 is good but a tough hunt and there are lots of ATV trails. I will probaby take my ATV if I go it alone, but like to hike and primarily using to get where I can hike in and get a bull out.

I'm still researching and trying to decide to go it alone or guided. Its a lot of money for a guide.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Nevada Unit 271-272kzkammo006/08/2010 18:16 pm
i drew a nevada elk tag late season unit 111-115blastducks006/15/2010 22:20 pm
Nevada or Utah Mnt. GoatsHOGGETTER1908/18/2012 18:18 pm
anyone ever hunt antelope in nevadabrokenarrow106/01/2010 07:18 am
Nevada Area 11 ElkNewb511/24/2005 19:37 pm