14 replies [Last post]
Nevada Cow elk hunt in unit 114, 115

I drew a cow elk tag for units 114,115 in Nevada. The hunt will start December 5th, 2011. I am not familiar with those areas but have been looking at scouting the Table area in 114. For unti 115 I am looking at scouting around the Strawberry Creek area. I am hoping that someone can let me know if those are good areas or maybe suggest a better location. Any help would be appreciated.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Welcome to the site! 

Welcome to the site!  Hopefully you will find someone to chime in and give you some advice.  You could try searching the forums, you might find some other threads about cow elk in Nevada.  You actually had a member just get a cow elk in Nevada.

Stick around, check out the site, and throw up some photos and stories!  Best of luck on your hunt!

Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Units 114 & 115

I've never hunted elk in these two areas - my experiences with December elk around Ely was in unit 111.  That time of the year the elk should be herded up on winter ranges which could be 50 miles away from their summer ranges or just downslope near the valley floor in the lower hills. 

Give the area biologists a call, those working for NDOW of course but also check with BLM and Forest Service.  They probably won't point you to a specific hill or valley but will most likely give you some good general areas to look at & just as importantly where to not look at.  Try also to hook up with a local RMEF member or two in the Ely area.  They are a great bunch of people & once you get them talking about elk hunting it can be a challenge to get them to stop.

Don't forget your binoculars and a spotting scope when scouting & hunting.  Use them more than your boots to find a herd.  Your as likely to find them in open sage hills as in forested areas.  You can often spot them from amazingly long distances (miles away), then plan a route to get closer.  If it's cold, pay attention to open south facing slopes that get alot of sun.

Best of luck & let us know how it goes! 

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Welcome to the forum and

Welcome to the forum and while I caanot help you on the information you seek.  I will tell you there are in fact some great people on here and have no doubt he will get some info.  Good luck on your hunt.

Make a scouting trip with Google Earth

Tbourne - I've been in your boots ... trying to scout a new unit from afar.  You might give Google Earth a try.  With a little practice you can "fly" satallite photos at low altitude for pretty much any location on earth.  The photos may be a couple years old but terrain and vegatation doesn't usually change that much (unless theirs been a major fire or beetle infestation).

The basic version of google earth is free and is more than adequate.  Also, you can generally open a basemap file from within the software and toggle back and forth between the map and the satellite image.  I picked up some map files for my regular units here in Colorado and Google Earth overlays them on the terrain with no hassles.  You can also tilt your perspective to get a very decent but simulated 3D view of the terrain. 

Takes a little practice but well worth it.  Once you zero in on an area you can then start evaluating it in terms of likely hunting pressure, feeding, bedding, transition zones, dark timber, benches, etc.  It's not perfect ... for example closed FS roads are not marked as such but it still beats hittng the ground opening morning with no visual knowledge.

good luck!

I have narrowed my hunt area

I have narrowed my hunt area down a bit. I am going to hunt in 114. I am guessing that it will be crowded around the southern part of the unit near hwy 6. I will be concentrating north of the county road which is hopefully well north of the crowd. In and around the Table holds elk and hopefully I will get the chance to meet one of them as they move up and down the mountain.

Crowding Shouldn't be a Problem

Looks like there are 50 tags for your area and season this year.  Unless really bad weather concertrates them the elk should still be fairly well distributed so there should be plenty of room for the number of tags out there.  Of course the Great Basin National Park takes up a big chunk of unit 115 & of course hunting isn't allowed there.  I'm thinking  many hunters will be looking at adjacent agricultural areas in 115 boardering the Park & trying to intercept elk going back and forth.  There's not alot of agriculture but it does tend to concentrate local elk & elk hunters.  Your plans should take you away from that potential circus.

Remember your binoculars are your best friend & don't forget to look at the lower open foothills too.  It may not look like it from a distance but those seemingly barren hills may look empty & open but there's alot of topography in those sage hills and grass seedings.

Damn, I'm jealous even though I just went in September!  Keep us posted!!

Ok. I went up the day before

Ok. I went up the day before opening day. The weather was cold and we got some snow, wind and the temp dropped to 11 below zero! I took my nephew who had never camped in sub zero temp, but we had a great set up up, stayed warm and he had a great time. We hunted hard for 3 days wth no sighting or sign of elk.  Three other hunters that we hooked up with informed us that a large herd passed right above where we were camped out. On days 4 we headed back up above to look for tracks. These elk completely ripped up the area that was blank the day before. The other hunters had about a 45 minute head start on us. We followed the tracks for about 3 miles. We caught up the herd and the other hunters. We saw a couple nice bulls feeding about 2 miles away. As I was glassing on top of a ridge a cow spotted me from about a mile away. I was excited and she skylined me! We dropped down on the oppisite side of the ridge to sneak in on the herd of about 150 elk. After about a 2 hour stalk we finally came to a point where we thought we could peak over to at least see the 2 bulls we saw earlier. We knew we were close to the herd! As we eased over to peak into the draw on our left my nephew noticed the two other hunters towards the right walking straight up on the saddle looking very disapointed. I glassed a hill directly behind them and noticed a ton of tracks going over another ridge. The closest the other hunters got to the herd was about 700 yards before they dropped down into another valley. They followed the herd but could not find them once they reached the ridge. Our only opportunity was gone. It was late in the afternoon so me and my nephew made our way back to camp to pack up. Both of us had to be back to work. It was my nephews first hunt period. We will enjoy the memories for years to come.

I am headed back up on december 26th to hopefully fill my tag. Unfortunately it will be without my nephew as he has other engagements. But I dont think this will be the last time me and my nephew will share a tent in sub zero temp. I will keep you posted on part two.

Part two-Success

Went back up on December 26th to get my elk. This time my nephew was not able to join me but I joined up with another hunter I knew and his buddy. My friend also had drawn the same tag. The first day I hunted sole. I covered a lot of gound and saw a few tracks but nothing fresh. That night I hooked up with my friend and we decided to hunt a different area the next day. Instead of taking the quads we took the truck. We decided to hunt at the base of a mountain that had a small river running along the base. We were into elk very early seeing our first small herd of about 10 just as we pulled off the main road. We were unable to get close to these elk probably due to the ciguarette smell from my friends buddy! Yes he lit up while on a stalk. Not Happy. 30 minutes later we were into a much larger herd of elk. I decided to dop behind an adjacent hill to try to come up on top of these elk. As I reached the top thinking I would be just above the herd, I realized they had begun side stepping the hill away from me. I followed this herd for almost two hours before they dissappeared down the mountain opposite where I left my friends two hours earlier. When I caught up with my elite hunting buddies, I explained to them what happened and that we could drive down off the mountain go around and catch the herd as they descended down the other side. We made our way around the mountain in time to watch the herd feed down to the base of the mountain. We parked and started walking towards the base through sage brush and and small pines. And yes my friends buddy decided he wanted to smoke one more time. Needless to say I left them in the smoke....literallt. I walked ahead about 200 yards down a slight grade approaching the small stream at the base.As I crept closer to the stream, I notice the herd feeding in my direction. Hiding behind a small tree, I watched the herd feed to  within 400 yards. I picked out the nicest cow in the herd and waited for he to present a shot. At 340 yards , the cow elk gave me the perfect. After two shots from my 7mm mag, the elk was down.  

PreviewAttachmentSize
HTC PICTURES 077.jpg
HTC PICTURES 077.jpg2.31 MB
Retired2hunt's picture
Congrats!

Nice Job!  And finishing the story just before the season begins this year just makes me more excited about my planned hunt this year.  Thanks for sharing your Pic and good luck if you are going hunting this year!

prhunter's picture
Congrats on your cow elk!!!

Congrats on your cow elk!!! Thumbs up

Did you get a tag this year? 

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Nevada Unit 271-272kzkammo006/08/2010 18:16 pm
anyone ever hunt antelope in nevadabrokenarrow106/01/2010 07:18 am
Nevada or Utah Mnt. GoatsHOGGETTER1908/18/2012 18:18 pm
Nevada Unit 061, 071 Elk jkhuntsbg205/31/2013 21:17 pm
i drew a nevada elk tag late season unit 111-115blastducks006/15/2010 22:20 pm