11 replies [Last post]
Nevada 072,074 Bull elk tag on 3rd try!

I got lucky yeah I know. My third year of applying for tags I draw a bull elk tag! I have never hunted elk before being from Minnesota originally, witetails with a shotgun is the extent of my hunting knowledge. I have a friend that works with me thatwas born and rasied in my area and still lives right in my hunt area though, my ace in the hole. I have been reading everything I can and shooting as much as possible, but I have a BUNCH of questions!  First off my gun: a Mossberg .308 with a Leupold vx-3 4.5x16. Is it adaqate? I can shoot groups of 5 inches at 400yds with it. I keep reading that there is no reason to be up in the area now, since 4 weeks can make a HUGE difference to where the elk are Nov 6 when my hunt starts. I guess I'm just asking for some rookie advice. I didn't plan on getting this tag for at least 10 more years and was hopeing to get out and do some cow hunting before. (don't get me wrong, I am NOT complaining) Just looking for advice!

Thanks,

Woody

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Welcome to the forum.  Your

Welcome to the forum. 

Your 308 is more than adequate for a elk rifle as long as you do your job.  You didn't say what grain of bullet that you are using but I would suggest one around 160 grains for that little bit more knock down power but if you are using 150's I wouldn't worry too much about it.  As for the elk you are right.  Six weeks is a long time and a lot can happen but with having a friend in the area and if he knows the general area that they hang out in you should be OK.  Just remember that an elk needs three things.  Food, water, and cover and once you find their travel pattern you should be set. 

Good luck on your hunt.

numbnutz's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I agree that your 308 is more

I agree that your 308 is more than enough gun for the job. Just make sure you put the bullet where it needs to go. Critter is right 6 weeks is a long time for elk to change their patterns. I would still try and get up there and try to find some elk or elk sign so you can start patterning them. You don't  want to get up to your hunt area without any knowledge of the area or where to start. It's good you have a buddy that lives there but theres nothing like first hand knowledge. Good luck on your hunt I'm sure you'll be fine, keep us posted on how things go.

hunter25's picture
I agree with the others here

I agree with the others here in that the .308 will get the job done just fine just keep your shot placement in mind. I would still get out there and do some scouting as depending on the area the elk may not move as much as you might think. Where I just finished hunting they were in the same areas for the last 3 months that I have been scouting them. Plus it will give you a much better idea of where you are going so it's not all blind when you get there for the first time. Some areas are just more elky than others like Critter said and at least you will know where to get started.

Good luck with your hunt and welcome to the forum. Keep us posted and let us know how it goes for you.

COMeatHunter's picture
Congrats on the tag!

That's pretty lucky, alright.  You might consider buying a lottery ticket too.  Never know how lady luck will shine on you, but with a great draw on the elk license I'd try to push my luck a bit more and see if you can hunt as a newly minted millionaire!

A .308 is a fine caliber, especially if you are comfortable with it.  I'd also agree with the others, get out to scout as many times as you can.  The more familiar you are with the area, the better you will be able to hunt it when the time comes.  It's always nice to have some backup plans and areas to go to if you're not finding elk where you first expect.  It can get expensive travelling to and from several times, especially if you are out of state.  But hey, with the new millions you'll have from winning the lottery, you'll easily be able to afford it!

Congrats and good luck on the hunt.

SGM
SGM's picture
Congratulations on getting a tag.

Congratulations on getting a tag and also welcome to the site. Always nice to meet another hunter and a lucky one at that. From what I have heard that is extremely fast. As for the rifle, the .308 is a great gun. I used a .308 for several years and it never failed to do the job on elk. I use 180 grain core locks and totally happy with the results. You are right about the ace in the hole. I would give it until about 2 weeks out then scouting so you can keep some what of a track on where these big critters are. Sure do not want to go out blind. Also since this is your first elk hunt and a big one take a step back and BREATH! Make a list of the things you need/want to take and don't put a ton of pressure on yourself. Relax and enjoy the hunt. Again congratulations on the tag and let us know how you do.

Thanks for all the advice and

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes! I am more than nervous but will do my best! From the sounds of it the weather here will be changing and getting much colder and more snow in the forecast for my area. Hopefully this drives the elk down from the high mountians to a more attainable regions. I will keep this thread updated with news as the hunt goes on!

Thanks Again

Woody

Ca_Vermonster's picture
First of all, welcome to the

First of all, welcome to the site!  There's lots of information on here, and lots of guys willing to help out.  Be sure to look around, and sprinkle some of your advice on here too.  We like hearing from everyone!

Don't know about those units, but there are some dandy elk in Nevada.  You should have a great hunt!  Best of luck to you, and make sure to stick around, and throw up a story and some photos of your hunts!!!

Have fun!

Well everything is in order,

Well everything is in order, bags will be packed tommrow, truck will be loaded sat and hunt opens Sunday. Now to find one......

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Best of luck to you!  Make

Best of luck to you!  Make sure to take some photos, have fun, and be safe.  Hopefuly you will have a successful hunt, and come back with a great story to tell.  As I said before, not sure about your unit, but Nevade has some dandy bulls!  You should do well!

Haven't had a lot of snow but

Haven't had a lot of snow but the weather has definitely changed with day temps in the low 40's instead of the mid 60's.  That's always a good thing.  Treat your ace in the hole well, keep him warm, well fed and alert & you should have a great hunt. There are some scary big bulls in the Jarbidge so you may not want to shoot the first rag horn you see but remember that even an OK 6 point is a big animal.  The old adage "shoot on the first day the bull you'd shoot on the last" applies as well in Nevada as it does in Colorado or Wyoming.

Don't forget to spend some time glassing lower broken country that burned a couple of years ago.  These burned and reseeded areas can hold a surprising number of animals.  Elko like grass and this last season or two the grass has done well on these burns - where not overgrazed. 

Third year of applying & you get a tag.  I know plenty of folks who'd want to do bad things to you !  Now then, where did I put my knife - I've got a tire or two to stick!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
2011 DIY Nevada Elk - 354 1/8 grossmfiscus703/28/2012 22:02 pm
370 Class Utah Mount Dutton Bullhightopoutfitter210/30/2009 11:27 am
Nevada Unit 061, 071 Elk jkhuntsbg205/31/2013 21:17 pm
elk in nevadabrokenarrow1407/30/2010 17:32 pm
nevada 2010 apps and regs are outbrokenarrow2204/17/2010 09:41 am