79 replies [Last post]
Offline
Location: CA Central Coast
Joined: 12/01/2005
Posts: 151
need some advice/input

Hi, guys -

I recently bought a Weatherby .240 online. I went in with my eyes open, knowing the barrel might have been shot out, and it turns out this may be the case. Lousy groups and slightly low velocities are the symptoms.

My problem is, there are really no decentl gunsmiths within what I consider driving distance to me, and, while I'm willing to send the gun somewhere for rebarreling...I don't want to do it unless I know the barrel is bad.

It's been suggested that all it might need is a bedding. Again, I don't mind having this done, but only if I know the barrel is OK. It's kind of a catch-22. I guess what I need is someone who can diagnose the problem for me, and/or then do the necessary work. Any suggestions?

I hope this wasn't too rambling...I'd appreciate any input.

Offline
Location: Misouri
Joined: 11/30/2005
Posts: 365
Re: need some advice/input
mzimmers wrote:
Hi, guys -

I recently bought a Weatherby .240 online. I went in with my eyes open, knowing the barrel might have been shot out, and it turns out this may be the case. Lousy groups and slightly low velocities are the symptoms.

My problem is, there are really no decentl gunsmiths within what I consider driving distance to me, and, while I'm willing to send the gun somewhere for rebarreling...I don't want to do it unless I know the barrel is bad.

It's been suggested that all it might need is a bedding. Again, I don't mind having this done, but only if I know the barrel is OK. It's kind of a catch-22. I guess what I need is someone who can diagnose the problem for me, and/or then do the necessary work. Any suggestions?

I hope this wasn't too rambling...I'd appreciate any input.

Could just be coppered up. Clean the barrel with a good copper cleaner and try it again. I have run into a few people who think that barrels are shot out when they just need the copper stripped out. How big are the groups? Handloading is another option. Best of luck.

Offline
Location: CA Central Coast
Joined: 12/01/2005
Posts: 151
need some advice/input

I did clean it really thoroughly...no change. Groups are 2-2.5" and velocity is down almost 10% from what Weatherby states their own ammo should do. This gun is guaranteed to deliver 1.5 MOA.

Offline
Moderator
Joined: 12/03/2005
Posts: 1691
need some advice/input

Take a look inside the barrel with a light to see if you can see the lands/groves. If you can see them I am doubtful that is your problem.
The rifle should be bedded anyway, by someone that knows what they are doing, whether it is a Weatherby or not.

Offline
Location: CA Central Coast
Joined: 12/01/2005
Posts: 151
need some advice/input

I reflect light through the barrel from the breech, and look through the muzzle -- it looks fine to this layman. Lands are clearly defined.

At this point, I'll take recommendations for ANYONE who can do a good job of bedding this rifle for me...I'll ship it anywhere in the lower 48.

Thanks...

Offline
Location: Mobile County, Alabama
Joined: 09/09/2007
Posts: 310
need some advice/input

Bedding is rather easy. I bed all my hunting rifles. It may not make any difference but a good bedding job never hurts.

Also, factory velocities are almost always over estimated.

How does the muzzle crown look? Are all the screws snug (not too tight)? What method are you using to shoot your groups?

ADKBEAR's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Central NY
Joined: 09/16/2003
Posts: 823
need some advice/input

Could be your ammo. That is where I would start. Are you shooting factory stuff or hand loads? Try some different brands/powders, bullets, weights.
Takes an awfull lot to shoot out a barrel

Offline
Location: Summit, IL
Joined: 10/22/2006
Posts: 706
need some advice/input
JCalhoun wrote:
Bedding is rather easy. I bed all my hunting rifles. It may not make any difference but a good bedding job never hurts.

Also, factory velocities are almost always over estimated.

How does the muzzle crown look? Are all the screws snug (not too tight)? What method are you using to shoot your groups?

J nailed it. A bummed up crown will cause this problem every time. Bedding NEVER hurts if done properly. And never go by stated velocities by manufacturer. They are always over estimated. Kinna like IBO speeds with a bow. They test these speeds in situations NEVER found in the field. Also if the lands look good your barrel is not shot out. One problem you may have is your head space. Look at a spent round and see if the primer is blown out any. Poor headspace is a common problem and will cause poor grouping and lower speeds. Also on a Weatherby, your screw on the forarm (barrel post) should be around 6 to 6.5 ftp (footpounds) tight. No more no less. That would cause poor grouping. If you are shooting properly and you know for a fact that its not the shooter (the most common problem of all) Then take it to a good gunsmith to have all these checked out.

Offline
Moderator
Location: Wa.
Joined: 03/31/2004
Posts: 1300
need some advice/input

Another consideration would be barrel pinch. A stock can swell or warp and put unwanted pressure on the barrel. Thus restricting the resonance.

Offline
Location: Summit, IL
Joined: 10/22/2006
Posts: 706
need some advice/input
fuzzybear wrote:
Another consideration would be barrel pinch. A stock can swell or warp and put unwanted pressure on the barrel. Thus restricting the resonance.

Otherwise known as barrel harmonics. Fuzzy nailed another one!!! Thumbs up

Don Fischer's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Antelope, Ore
Joined: 03/24/2005
Posts: 3183
need some advice/input

There's a number of things you should check before thinking the barrel is shot out. Easiest first. Check the crown; should be no dings in it. Next check the bedding. If the rear tang area has had solvent on it for periods of time, it will soften the wood there, assuming it's a wood stock. When that happens the rear tang screw pulls the tang down to far into the wood binding up the action. Tighter it down and the front receiver screw. Now hold your fingers lightly on the forend tip so you can feel the tip and the barrel. Holding it that way, loosen the front guard screw. You should not feel any movement at all at the forend between it and the barrel. Movement means a bind in the receiver.

Next, get a piece of typewriter paper and try to slide it between the barrel and the stock to the received. It should slide freely. Unless there is forend pressure like on Remington's. Many rifles are bedded solid for a couple inches in front of the receiver so the paper may stop there. If that's the case, check and make sure that that bedding is square across the stock. If it's not, the barrel will bounce away from the long side.

Check the recoil lug and make sure it has full contact behind it but doesn't touch at the sides, front or bottom. If it's dragging there you'll feel pressure when you try to remove it from the stock. The wood behind the lug should be flat and appear to be making full contact.

One last thing. do your groups show a pattern? Vertical or horizontal stringing? Vertical would indicate some binding in the action, horizontal would be bedding in the barrel channel. If the group's appear round the bedding should be alright even if the group's are 2", but not always.

Almost forgot. Check the screw's on the sight's. They must be tight.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
2nd Season OTC 54 Bull/Cow AdviceNewtoTheHunt509/17/2012 15:35 pm
advice for newbieyotehowler207/24/2007 10:49 am
First time hunter D16newbiee710/19/2011 16:59 pm
Newbee to Mule Deerjaybe811/19/2010 13:07 pm
Co elk unit rlurben1403/22/2012 13:25 pm