I am giving my Dad what I hope will be the best Father's Day gift he's ever had: An Elk Hunt out West with his two sons! There's just one problem: I know nothing about this process! Obviously this year's season is out, but I figured I should start planning as soon as possible. I have always been enamored with the idea of Montana, but I'm not married to it.
Here is what I know (or think I know) so far:
1. We should probably hook up with an outfitter who has tags so we won't have to draw.
2. Shooting a cow wouldn't really do much for any of us. We have plenty of does in Tennessee, but decent sized racks are scarce.
3. Dad will enjoy the scenery just as much as the hunt.
4. We would want an outfitter with a good success rate since this will most likely be our only hunt of this kind, ever.
5. I don't want to be a cheapskate, but since I am paying I would like to keep expenses to reasonable.
I would greatly appreciate any insight the community can offer. Big Thanks in advance!