19 replies [Last post]
CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
My Wife Thinks I Am Crazy - She Might Be Right, But....

My wife doesn't share my passion for protecting the 2nd amendment. Also, I don't think we should depend on the government to protect us. We must be prepared and willing to take up arms to defend ourselves.

Of course, in her smug manner, she pointed out, "I don't think the terrorist are planning to attack us here in Kansas."

I told her that she was probably right, but I still think it is wise to be ready to defend my family not only from domestic criminals, but terrorist too.

Maybe this sounds paranoid and maybe it is, but consider this.

Obama is closing Gitmo and Leavenworth Kansas is being considered as a location for the terrorist. How much of a reach is it to imagine the terrorist escaping and ending up in my backyard or being a magnet for other terrorist.

Consider that their buddies are housed in a Kansas prison, is it hard to imagine that other terrorist might come to Kansas to plot their escape or terrorist acts?

Think

Offline
Moderator
Location: Florida,USA
Joined: 08/21/2003
Posts: 1566
My Wife Thinks I Am Crazy - She Might Be Right, But....

Oklahoma City never thought it would be a target for Terrorist.
I know that McVeigh was not Arab or even Radical Muslim but he was a terrorist and one is the same as the other.

Offline
Location: California
Joined: 09/06/2008
Posts: 1071
My Wife Thinks I Am Crazy - She Might Be Right, But....

Jtap wrote,

Quote:
Oklahoma City never thought it would be a target for Terrorist.
I know that McVeigh was not Arab or even Radical Muslim but he was a terrorist and one is the same as the other.

Exactly!! In addition terrorists are not the only dangers present in our society. Crime is on the rise everywhere, especialy given the state of our economy. Firearms are not just protection against someone or something. They give piece of mind and represent freedom and self-reliance, which is why the left really hates them (and us). Firearms truly hold little danger for society no matter who's hands they're in. Especially given some of the technology law enforcement and our military have access to. What they are more than anything are symbols of independence from government and a reminder that government governs at the peoples sufference. This is the true danger we pose to those who would run our lives for us. Without these ideals guns are just wood and steel.

expatriate's picture
Offline
Location: Arizona
Joined: 10/26/2002
Posts: 3207
My Wife Thinks I Am Crazy - She Might Be Right, But....

It's not all about terrorists. Look at what happened in New Orleans. All it takes is a prolonged, massive power outage. No refrigeration, no lights, no water pumps, no cash registers, no gas pumps...chaos.

Only slightly less catastrophic is the fact that we're increasingly reliant on communication networks. In 07 somebody cut a fiber line south of here, and for the rest of the day nothing worked. No cel phones, no land lines, no ATMs, you couldn't use a credit card, and computers were largely useless if they had to access a network to function.

We've seen again and again that Americans are completely reliant on technology, and when deprived of that technology they absolutely lose their minds. The danger lies in people that get desperate and decide that if they can't get it from the store, they'll get it from you.

I don't worry as much about terrorists as I do about normal people driven to desperation by circumstances outside their control.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
My Wife Thinks I Am Crazy - She Might Be Right, But....

Yes, terrorist rank low on potential threats to our household, but with the proposed moving of them to Kansas it could increase.

I just not the kind of guy to wait for the police to show up to save me.

redrider's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: NE Kansas
Joined: 03/20/2006
Posts: 2603
My Wife Thinks I Am Crazy - She Might Be Right, But....

Don't worry CVC they have to come through my neck of the woods before they get to you. I'll be waiting with a little treat for them.
My wife thought I was crazy when I told her a year ago that we were headed for a depression. She actually laughed at me and now look at where we are. Not a depression, but a heck of a lot worse than it was a year ago. I told her at the time that if times got tough we needed to be prepared to defend what we have because desperate people will have desperate actions. Needless to say I am stocked up on ammo for every gun I own and my wife is realizing I'm not quite as crazy as she thought.
The razor wire will be here next week

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1774
My Wife Thinks I Am Crazy - She Might Be Right, But....

Don't forgot to worry about that meteor that may come crashing down out of the heavens and take you out as you step out of the door to leave for work in the morning. Maybe you can build some type of shield to go over your home so as that will never happen. Also, hire a food tester in case you buy some peanut butter tainted with salmonella.

Honestly, I think your fear of a terrorist escaping from Leavenworth (if they even go there) maybe has the likely hood of a one in ten million chance of occurring and goes up from there if he decides to take a route to your house. You have about the same chances of winning the Power Ball lottery.

As far as the comments on the level of violence it reminded me of the movie No Country For Old Men (if any of you have seen it) when Sheriff Bell tells his uncle he's retiring due to all of the violence of the modern day. His uncle recounts how an older relative was gunned down and left to die by Indians on his front porch and tells him there's always been a lot of violence, nothing new.

It's wise to take precautions and be prepared for down or dangerous times. But, to worry about things far out of ones control to a high degree invites ulcers, stress, hyper tension, and getting old before your time.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
My Wife Thinks I Am Crazy - She Might Be Right, But....

No Country for Old Men was a good movie that I enjoyed.

I have smoke detectors in my house, but I don't worry about fire - just prepared in case it happens.

Same thing for crime, violent acts and even terrorist acts.

I try to prepare for it to the degree I can, but I don't worry about it.

When I am at public events, I look at my surroundings, exits, etc. Chances of someone coming in spraying bullets probably are small, but it does happen.

Do I really think terrorist are going to show up in my back yard - well not today, but the world is always changing.

Offline
Location: California
Joined: 09/06/2008
Posts: 1071
My Wife Thinks I Am Crazy - She Might Be Right, But....

Silly SoCo! meteors cant get me, I have my tinfoil hat, remember?

Offline
Joined: 07/31/2007
Posts: 635
Re: My Wife Thinks I Am Crazy - She Might Be Right, But....
CVC wrote:
My wife doesn't share my passion for protecting the 2nd amendment. Also, I don't think we should depend on the government to protect us. We must be prepared and willing to take up arms to defend ourselves.

Of course, in her smug manner, she pointed out, "I don't think the terrorist are planning to attack us here in Kansas."

I told her that she was probably right, but I still think it is wise to be ready to defend my family not only from domestic criminals, but terrorist too.

Maybe this sounds paranoid and maybe it is, but consider this.

Obama is closing Gitmo and Leavenworth Kansas is being considered as a location for the terrorist. How much of a reach is it to imagine the terrorist escaping and ending up in my backyard or being a magnet for other terrorist.

Consider that their buddies are housed in a Kansas prison, is it hard to imagine that other terrorist might come to Kansas to plot their escape or terrorist acts?

Think

You joke, but what about those twenty guys in MN they were talking about today?

Offline
Joined: 07/31/2007
Posts: 635
My Wife Thinks I Am Crazy - She Might Be Right, But....
SoCoKHntr wrote:
Don't forgot to worry about that meteor that may come crashing down out of the heavens and take you out as you step out of the door to leave for work in the morning. Maybe you can build some type of shield to go over your home so as that will never happen. Also, hire a food tester in case you buy some peanut butter tainted with salmonella.

Honestly, I think your fear of a terrorist escaping from Leavenworth (if they even go there) maybe has the likely hood of a one in ten million chance of occurring and goes up from there if he decides to take a route to your house. You have about the same chances of winning the Power Ball lottery.

As far as the comments on the level of violence it reminded me of the movie No Country For Old Men (if any of you have seen it) when Sheriff Bell tells his uncle he's retiring due to all of the violence of the modern day. His uncle recounts how an older relative was gunned down and left to die by Indians on his front porch and tells him there's always been a lot of violence, nothing new.

It's wise to take precautions and be prepared for down or dangerous times. But, to worry about things far out of ones control to a high degree invites ulcers, stress, hyper tension, and getting old before your time.

Isn't the next close call for large impact 2020?
Don't forget 2012! Did you get your Armegedon Survival Kit yet? Laugh

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Husband & wife talkhalvtaz206/21/2007 00:10 am
Would you re-marry???Ca_Vermonster412/17/2010 07:18 am
What musthe do ??Hammer1403/08/2006 04:43 am
Crazy Hunting Regulationshawkeye2701012/03/2010 11:20 am
Tell me if I am wrongCVC904/08/2009 18:13 pm