24 replies [Last post]
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Crap, I just called Valles

Crap, I just called Valles Caldera, to ask about putting in for a hunt.  $700+ this year for the "quality" hunt tags...... Whistling

Either gotta save up some more, or just hit Colorado like I wanted to do all along.

cantgetdrawn's picture
Only $30 for a ticket?

I am fairly sure you only have to buy the lottery ticket to apply, you don't even have to buy the $65 hunting license until your drawn.  

Once your drawn you can decide to load up the card ;) 

Another good thing about VC, is that you can buy lottery tickets and still apply in the general draw.  If you are drawn for VC, they take your name out of the general draw, if not you can still have a chance to hunt elk. 

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Yeah, I know it's only $30

Yeah, I know it's only $30 for the bull tag, $20 for the cow tag.  I'd be afraid of actually drawing it though, then realizing I couldn't go........ Just rather not put in unless I am prepared to go on the trip.

prhunter's picture
I say we should all apply for

I say we should all apply for a Colorado hunt in a couple of years. I'm gonna start buying preferance points this year. Anyone agree?  Big smile

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I would say I'm in but since

I would say I'm in but since I live here that's pretty much a given anyway. Big smile

cantgetdrawn's picture
Good Idea

I will also apply for my first preference point in CO, with my 2nd choice unit 70 and 3rd choice unit 65.  There are a ton of elk in CO, so if I don't get drawn anywhere I will probably drive up for an OTC hunt. 

The good thing about CO is that you can request a refund before the start of the season and still pay for and get the preference points.  So if I get drawn in NM, I will ask for the refund in CO. 

Unless you have a ton of points in CO, the quality of bulls is better here.  I've heard VC has dropped off in the quality of bulls, but I still have to believe its better than any unit I could in get CO without having to accumulate points for 10 or more years. 

eating points

I'm going to let my UT points go as the chance of drawing are slim and none. Never bothered putting in for CO elk. They have a ton,but not the quality of NM IMHO. I've seen great bulls all over NM,some areas have way more. The VC still has some 320-350 bulls. I was hunting for deer in a sleeper unit 3 years ago,and never saw a decent buck during my hunt,but I could have shot 6 bulls all over 300,one 340.Unit is not known for elk at all.

Barnacle Bob's picture
Put in For The Draw

Well I put in for the draw yesterday,

1st. Bow Unit 16 Deer

2nd. Muzzleloader Unit 16 Deer

3rd. Any Legal Unit 16 Deer

4th. SW

5th. Yes (for population management)

Damn I wanna go hunting this year. Good Luck to all of you who entered for the draw. Thumbs up

PreviewAttachmentSize
IMAG0013.JPG
IMAG0013.JPG1.77 MB
cantgetdrawn's picture
Good luck

You should have no problem getting drawn for your first choice.  The Gila has some beatiful country.   Is that what made you choose 16?

Barnacle Bob's picture
We chose 16 because of the

We chose 16 because of the landscape and the fact that most of it is Green on the unit map.

I haven't been hunting since I was about 10 and we went up by Cuba. Nobody got anything, but we had a great time. So we are useing "common sence" and I chose the area I felt had the highest chance of "seeing" a deer. Hopefullly we chose right and we will be successfull.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like