24 replies [Last post]
prhunter's picture
My 2012 New Mexico hunts are in.

My 2012 New Mexico hunts are in.  Dancing

Elk: Southwestern NM - Rifle

Pronghorn: Southeastern NM - Rifle

Barbary Sheep: Southeastern NM - Rifle

If I don't get drawn I'll probably just buy a leftover deer tag. Wish me luck!!!  Yes

cantgetdrawn's picture
Good Luck

PRhunter you should move across the state line, that way you could get the resident fees and odds ::whistling::D

Either way good luck I hope you get drawn. 

rowdycwby1's picture
Yea you need to nice to

Yea you need to nice to sunland park or atheny so you have a NM address...good luck

JSmitty's picture
I agree just change ur

I agree just change ur address, 

Got my apps in Elk 34, deer 31, antelope southeast, and Barbary sheep 30. The only one I know the out come is antelope been about 20 years applying and no success yet. 

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I passed on New MExico this

I passed on New MExico this year. I've hunted to much and I'm broke now. Huh?

Okay I haven't really hunted too much but I've spent all my money doing it.

cantgetdrawn's picture
You can alway overload the Credit Cards LOL

I am joking of course, but be aware that odds may get worse next year for Oryx. 

At the beginning of last year the G&F asked the state Attorney General for an opinion on the legality of a non-resident quota for exotics.  The opinion was that a NR quota should pass any legal challenge. 

Fortunately they did not act on the opinion.  I am hoping its because they do not want to risk losing the revenue from these species since they charge NRs an outrageous amount.  But they were at least considering a NR quota for exotics and Bighorn sheep. 

With the uncertainty its hard to tell what the draw odds will be next year. Confused

Here is the link to the AG opinion. 

http://www.nmag.gov/pdf/4%20January%202011-Tod%20W%20Stevenson-Advisory%...

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Dang it your making me

Dang it your making me nervous and actually thinking about it. My credit card aches already but there's still enough room to make it happen. But I need 1k to get Colorado in this week and I'm going turkey and hog hunting in Texas next month. Free to hunt on that one but it still costs to get there. 

And I'm leaving next week to go pick up a motorcycle I bought from BikerRn on here in Az. 

My kids are grown and I've lost control.

NM hunts

I'm in on my local units for deer and elk. The outfitter quota is under legal ? as we speak.

I'm not sure if the Fish and

I'm not sure if the Fish and Game here in NM has ever followed the quotas as they set out in the law and proclamation. I think its a slippery slope the state is on as far as kicking out of state hunters out and I think that will change once a few lawsuits are settled. At least on units that are on National forest. As an outfitter I here alot of hunters telling me that New Mexico sent out a clear message with the law change that made non residents feel unwelcome and that is unfortunate.

cantgetdrawn's picture
Copies of the lawsuit

Copies of the lawsuit (motions) are online at the United Bowhunter's of New Mexico webpage.  It's a good grassroot organization, if anyone is interested in joining. 

The Judge may grant an injunction today.  If he does the question is whether he will just throw out the outfitter quota or the whole draw.  The later would be a real mess, but most people think nothing will come of the lawsuit. 

http://unitedbowhuntersofnewmexico.com/infofive.html

Cantgetdrawn thanks for the

Cantgetdrawn thanks for the link. I read the complaint and it looks to me like they got a case. I hope the injunction doesn't delay or mess up the draw. I myself am a resident outfitter but I operate mainly on private land. I hope they get things resolved soon.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like