17 replies [Last post]
ndemiter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
my 2011 mule deer hunt.

This will be the abriged version, since I'll type it all up into a story later.

I drove out to Garden City, KS to hunt Mule Deer on my Archery/ Muzzle loader tag. I hunted the morning without spotting one, solitary, Muley.

This year has been way to dry, so I spent the afternoon trying to find water with no luck. I set up over dry lake called Concannon Resevoir. The reprod vegetation in the bottom of the lake bed was 5-10 feet tall in spots. So, I glassed this for the rest of the day... until I fell asleep. I woke up an hour or two later and it had started to sprinkle a little bit. Once the clouds rolled on past, everything else seemed to wake up as well, I spotted 4 whitetail bucks moving around in the tall weeds. So my Mule Deer hunt turned into a whitetail hunt real fast.

I really didn't want to kill another whitetail, since this is my 48th whitetail I've taken. But, given the local conditions, I'm glad My season didn't drag on forever without producing an animal.  I guess I should post this under whitetail, but it was supposed to be a Muley hunt.

Oh- and his left side was still in velvet!

PreviewAttachmentSize
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG3.59 MB
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Hey, mule deer or whitetail,

Hey, mule deer or whitetail, they are both good eating.... Wink

Congrats!  I might bounce come questions off you at a later date, because I am looking for a hunt to do with my Dad, and a Kansas muzzleloader hunt was one of the leading possibilities.

Glad to see you were able to score on something.  But I must say, 48 whitetail?  Man, leave some for the rest of us!! I am still on 3........ :lol:

ndemiter's picture
well, i grew up in ohio, so

well, i grew up in ohio, so 48 deer sounds impressive, but that's like 3 a year for 10 years, then they raised the limit to 6/ year now it's like 12. plus a bunch out of state.

if you want to come here to kansas, i may be tempted to show you guys one of my favorite spots. i have about 3 real good places, and i'll take you to any of them, just let me know and i'll try to get out there and show you around.

kansas will run you about $350 for your licenses, but it's really not all that bad.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Heck, I'd do that.  Do you

Heck, I'd do that.  Do you hunt near Lawrence, or do you travel a ways to your spot?

groovy mike's picture
Congrats on the harvest!

Congrats on the harvest!  :=D>  I don't blame you for taking the game that volunteered at all!  It's pPretty cool that you have the option to take either species.  He's a fine looking buck to boot too.  You guys are blessed to have a season that lets you get out there so early.  My home state deer season won't even BEGIN until November.  Lucky for me I'll be heading west to join you west end hunters in chasing muleys next month though :)  Like Sean said - save me one! lol

Retired2hunt's picture
Very Nice Buck!

ndemiter - very nice buck! Congrats! I'm looking forward to the full story. I have yet to get a buck still in velvet. I too grew up in Ohio. I loved the whitetail hunting there.

hunter25's picture
Cogratulations on your buck.

Cogratulations on your buck. I'm sure I would have done the same as well, it's great you can be surprised as to which one you might have a chance at that day. 48 is still a huge number of deer no matter where you live in  my opinion. 

Around 300 is about the average in most states for a non resident tag. I think Nebraska is a bit cheaper but that may have changed in the last few years. 

Do you still get to deer hunt some more or does that put an end to it in Kansas?

ndemiter's picture
That pretty much ends my year

That pretty much ends my year in kansas. i can get one more doe. i'll save that for rifle season.

i don't hunt near lawrence. the hunting is way better farther west. i know of a few spots that have good access with lower numbers of people hunting it.

and, if you feel like it, let me know and i'll take you guys ther vermonster.

Good job on your buck. Thanks

Good job on your buck. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. Thumbs up

SGM
SGM's picture
Congratulations on a fine

Congratulations on a fine looking buck. I have to agree that my mulie hunt would turn whitetail too in that situation. I love hunting with the smoke pole so that is nice to see that is how you took yours. I still have 44 days to go for my hunt but it is rifle as I could not hunt the ML season this year but sure plan to next year. Thanks for the photo and look forward to the story.

prhunter's picture
Congrats on your buck!!!

Congrats on your buck!!!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Elk and Mule Deer Hunt - DIY?jim boyd2512/01/2010 07:50 am
Looking for MULE DEER and WOLF in BCHunt Okanogan003/14/2011 12:13 pm
Wyoming mule deerPaLuke1411/13/2010 19:25 pm
DIY mule deer/antelope hunt?titansben15712/01/2010 07:39 am
2011 Wyoming Hunt Resultsjaybe1210/28/2011 17:04 pm