22 replies [Last post]
elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
My 2010 Colorado Muley Hunt

Well I just got back from a great 9 day hunt with my father. We saw quite a few deer even though it was a little slow in the begining with opening day being one of the most depressing and exciting morning hunts of my life.

It started with myself, my daughter, and my father heading to her unit to hunt when dad thought we should take a detour and check a spot in our unit. We were heading up a draw when my daughter started screaming, "Monster, Monster!!!" as a small group of deer topped a ridge. I bailed out and headed for the top of the ridge. As I topped the ridge I spotted a doe and small spike, then I looked further left and there was the biggest buck I had ever had in front of me while carrying my rifle and a tag in my pocket. They were only 120 yards away and put my bipods down and got in a prone position. When I finally got on him he was just about to enter the cedars and I hurried the shot and shot right over him. I hunted this buck three more times throughout the week and never layed another eye on him.  ::eek:  What a thrill !

As the week progressed we started seeing more and more deer. My dad was having trouble keeping his finger off the trigger and ended up taking a great little 2 point on Tuesday evening.

I passed a great 3x3 with browetines on Wednesday morning, but was still confident with my decision. On Thursdat morning I found another great buck and decided I would try and find and take him that evening.

When I went back in that evening I found him in a small bowl by himself and raking some sagebrush. I moved in on him and took him at 80 yards as he was walking slowly trying to sneak away from me. Hit him in the left front shoulder and the bullet was just under the hide in the front of the right shoulder. I went and got dad to take some pics and gut him and then got him out Friday morning.

We had a blast as usuall and I have another wopper to put on the wall.

mossbuck35's picture
Nice Bucks!!

Nice bucks, To bad you didnt get that giant you were after but you still were able to get a dandy buck. :thumbsup1:  

mossbuck35's picture
Nice Bucks!!

Nice bucks, To bad you didnt get that giant you were after but you still were able to get a dandy buck. :thumbsup1:  

gatorfan's picture
Impressive buck!

I would sure like to see the "monster" because the buck you did take is awesome!  Congrtas on your succes and good for you to get out with your family!

You did good elkkill06.

You did good elkkill06.

jaybe's picture
Way to go!

Looks great guys!

Nice bucks and sounds like you had a good time.

Thanks for the report.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Holy Moly that's an

Holy Moly that's an impressive buck!  Great that you could get out with your dad and both be successful!  congrats!

GooseHunter Jr's picture
That is a very impressive

That is a very impressive buck...congrats to all.

elkkill06's picture
Thanks Much Everyone !

Thanks for the great comments guys ! He is my 2nd best scoring deer I have ever taken and I am very proud to have taken such an awesome deer.

hawkeye270's picture
Congratulations on that great

Congratulations on that great buck elkkill! That is a giant deer. It sounds like it was an awesome hunt with your dad too. You have the rack to put on the wall but he has the meat for the table. Young bucks like that are pretty darn tasty. The picture of your buck from the front shows it off the best. Are you sure you have room on your wall for that bad boy though. You just might have to retire one of your smaller ones to make room for the new hog. What did he score? What is the score of your biggest buck?

elkkill06's picture
Thanks hawkeye !

I have room on the wall for this awesome buck. I have rearranged since the last pics. :yes:  As for my best scoring muley, he scores 182 6/8". This buck tapes out at 170 1/8". Now it is the long waite until it gets mounted. I am boiling him as we speak for a european mount until he gets shoulder mounted. Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
My 2010 Colorado Muley !!!elkkill061404/12/2011 09:40 am
Eastern Colorado Deercomulies09101/19/2010 20:22 pm
double main beamed muleyhunter251105/03/2011 19:23 pm
Wyoming Antelope, Muley and Elk 2010!ndemiter003/02/2010 15:39 pm
My dads 2010 Colorado muley!!mossbuck351412/01/2010 06:18 am