3 replies [Last post]
My 2009 Kansas buck

Well I decided to head out Monday evening Nov 2nd to check out my place. We hadn't hunted it for a couple 3 days as we were hunting with my buddy in Topeka on his spot. So I get setup in my ladderstand and realize I forgot my phone. No phone no clock. So I get down and walk the 1/2 mile back to my truck to retrieve the phone. I get back to my stand at about 3:30 and get settled in.

Round about 4:15 here comes a little doe from behind me to my north (I had a perfect slight north breeze). The little doe passes me to my right at 15 yards. I realize its a button buck so I relax and watch him feed in front of me. He finally gets tired I guess and lays down in the beans 30 yards straight down wind of me. I'm thinking my scent control is in good shape!

Right at 4:50 I text my buddy and tell him something is walking behind me. Well out pops a big doe so I get up and get my bow. I had one doe tag left and she looked like it would match her coat nicely. I can hear another deer behind her and I see the rear end of another deer so I let this doe pass thinking I'll kill her friend instead. The lead doe stops and is looking back intently at the other deer. Well its about that time the other deer starts trashing an evergreen tree and I realized what was going on. The doe continued into the beans and out he stepped. A big heavy bodied, heavy horned wide 8. I thought there is no way he'll follow her out. If he does that will put him 17 yards right in front of me. Sure enough he steps right out in the same place she popped out. His head is behind an evergreen so I draw back and clears the tree and I thwacked him at 17 yards. He jumped and kicked but then just trotted off. He went about 35 yards and the old legs turned to jello and fell over right there dead. I was geeked. I still am. Get the head back tomorrow to put in the freezer.

So I'm putting my stuff up and I hear another deer behind me. Here comes a doe and she walks out to my right about 12 yards. She goes out into the beans and I hear another deer coming. I'll be damned if a big 11 pointer doesn't step right out in her same tracks. He's 12 yards broadside just looking the beans over! What a great hunt. Both bucks were with does. Not chasing but just following. I love Nov in SE Kansas.

Here's a link to the pic.

http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/BetterBirddogs/?action=view&cur...

My 2009 Kansas buck

Neat story and photos. Makes me think I really should try bow hunting.

Congratulations!

09Dreamseason's picture
My 2009 Kansas buck
plainview wrote:
Makes me think I really should try bow hunting.

Once you go ARCHERY, you NEVER go back! It becomes an addiction and actually costs more than rifle hunting in most cases.....but OH, what a sweet payoff it can be....

redrider's picture
My 2009 Kansas buck
09Dreamseason wrote:
plainview wrote:
Makes me think I really should try bow hunting.

Once you go ARCHERY, you NEVER go back! It becomes an addiction and actually costs more than rifle hunting in most cases.....but OH, what a sweet payoff it can be....

I agree with that, bowhunting is a whole different level of hunting! Grant it I do like to get out during rifle season for does.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Kansas Hunts for 2009Racks&Quacks001/07/2009 11:16 am
Got my Kansas EasternRacks&Quacks005/11/2009 12:09 pm
NW Kansas Whitetail?sman8110/17/2008 10:30 am
2008 Kansas Buckdeer_hunter68801/07/2009 17:14 pm
Kansas Deer huntsRacks&Quacks106/08/2009 05:57 am