10 replies [Last post]
hellomcfly's picture
My 2007 Colorado buck

This is my 2nd season colorado buck. I was hunting with my dad during opening weekend with not much luck. We had seen two does and one dead 4 point that was shot by another hunter a couple hundred yards from us. By saturday night it was snowing pretty bad, so we decided to pack up and go to my aunt's house which was near by. we stayed there all sunday after noon and night.

We decided to get up early on monday and head back out to our hunting area. so we drove up north and found a forest service road that was closed to vehicles. It was on the border of our unit and another. We could tell that no one had been in there all weekend so we decided to get out and take a hike. We left the truck and took a walk up the service road which had snow that was untouched, except for some cow and calf tracks. The country was basically some sage brush hills for a square mile in between actual forest. There was a stand of aspen trees near the top of the hill. I told my dad that i would get up there and walk through it, and see if i couldn't push a buck or two out. so i told him to get set up at the bottom of the hill.

It took me about 15 minutes to scale the hill, it was difficult with a foot of snow on the ground. i reached the top and started to walk through the aspens. i wanted to be partially on top, just incase a buck decided to dump over the top of the hill. I walked a little bit and out of no where, a grouse jumps up and scares the heck out me! i yelled a few choice words and continued walking the hillside, i was definately alert after that. I walked for about another 5 minutes or so when i saw a buck jump up from his bed and start trotting around a little knoll. I wasn't sure how big, but i could tell he was at least a 3 point. He trotted around a little knoll, so i took off running, i reached the top of the knoll and there he was....with his back to me. At that moment, he turned around a looked at me...broadside at 70 yards i threw my rifle up to my shoulder and found him in the scope, in a split second, i side-stepped to the right and squeezed off a shot. The shot connected with a thud and he was down for the count. i got up to the buck and i couldn't believe his size. He's not a monster, but he's the biggest one i've shot. He is technically a 5x3 not including his eye guards and he has a little non-typical point (cheater) on his right side.

It took my dad a little while to get up to me after i had the buck down. I cupped my hands around my mouth and let out a loud "moooooo!" That's our noise we make when we have an animal down lol. My dad got up to me and he was just as excited as i was, we took some photos, tagged him, gutted him, and dragged him a little ways back to the truck. Let me tell you....snow rocks when your dragging something out, i jumped on that buck's back and rode him all the way down the hill lol. He's my biggest buck to date and he's also my 4th buck in 5 years of hunting. I've decided to have him european mounted (skull and antlers)

After a weekend of bad luck with our hunting camp and not much luck finding game, this sure made a great end to our '07 deer hunt.

PreviewAttachmentSize
drews buck 2007.jpg
drews buck 2007.jpg526.88 KB
redrider's picture
My 2007 Colorado buck

Congrats on your buck Thumbs up Sounds like a good time with your Dad!

My 2007 Colorado buck

Very nice! Thanks for sharing your hunt and photo with us.
Thumbs up

My 2007 Colorado buck

Nothing wrong with that! Nice buck and a great story to boot!

hellomcfly's picture
My 2007 Colorado buck

Thanks for the comments guys Big smile

here's another pic of him

PreviewAttachmentSize
7777778-R1-050-23A.jpg
7777778-R1-050-23A.jpg200.2 KB
My 2007 Colorado buck
hellomcfly wrote:
Thanks for the comments guys Big smile

here's another pic of him

Nice Looking Deer