11 replies [Last post]
saskie's picture
My 2006 Buck

I'v ewaited a long time to tell this story. Due to a variety of circumstances I had no pictures available until now, so since a picture is worth a thousand words, I decided to wait.

Last hunting season was a very special one, as it was the first time that my Dad, Me and my brother were able to hunt together. Although our farm was still off limits due to restrictions on non-res hunters (grumble Brick Wall,) ) we were fortunate enough to live near the northern forest zone boundary, where I was able to hunt. Although not very familiar with the area, I knew it had a very healthy WT population, and lots of big boys cruising along the river bank of the Torch River.

On the Sunday before season opener my brother and I went scouting. We soon located a pine flat between two thick sections of brush, trails led everywhere, and nearly every tree had a rub or scrape. needless to say I was excited and very anxious for the opener. The kicker was finding a stand location where I could see all the trails, as I didn't have detailled knowledge yet of local patterns I was trying to cover as many as I could, until I knew better which deer used which trails, and when.

It was pretty hit and miss, trial and error hunting. I saw tons of does every day but only one buck (a spike) until 1130am on the fifth day of my hunt. It was -21C and I had been sitting since 0630 and was nearly frozen. In front of me, hidden from view was a large clearing used as a staging area (I had flipped a coin whether to set up over looking the clearing, or to cover a series of major trails, one of which led away from the clearing).

About 1045 I heard a strange noise coming from the clearing - it sounded like someone was banging two frozen green sticks together making a loud "TOCK". Not frequently, but regularly over a several minutes. Around 11 I thought I could hear a deer coming up behind me and slowly turned to look. Nothing.
As I turned my head back a doe burst out of the scrub surrounding the clearing at a full gallop heading toward me. For a second I figured she had busted me when I moved, but she was stilling running toward me (this all happened in a the space of a few seconds) and when she passed in front of me (20yds max) I saw that she had her lip curled up wheezing like a cattle do when in heat...

Ahh Ha! A hot doe, frantically running through the woods in the middle of the rut...now what could she be running from....

Not two seconds later the question was answered when a buck broke out of the scrub head down on the tail of the doe. I had just enough time to see that he was definitely a shooter before he was even with me. As I raised my rifle he froze, dead in his tracks full broadside at 20 paces. If there was ever a look of "Awww Crap!" in an animals eyes it was him as he had just enough time to realize he had made a huge, fatal mistake before I sent a .308 150gr clean through both lungs and clipping off the to top of his heart. Three jumps and he was still.

I got the mount back from the taxidermist today:

You can really see the size difference between eastern and western deer on this shot:

(Pssst - Chester...muzzleloaders Yes )

redrider's picture
My 2006 Buck

Congrats Big smile That's a beauty of a buck indeed Thumbs up

cowgal's picture
My 2006 Buck

What a nice buck! Big smile

Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like you had a great hunt with your Dad & brother.

My 2006 Buck

he's a dandy Thumbs up

My 2006 Buck

Looks good . Nice buck

My 2006 Buck

Awesome buck awesome story keep em comming saskie congrats on the hunt and the buck hopefully you get another beauty to hang next to that one next year. Looks like you have a few more hanging next to that one was that your first full head mount? Great mount too, how many points 10 or 12?

saskie's picture
My 2006 Buck
atomikall wrote:
Awesome buck awesome story keep em comming saskie congrats on the hunt and the buck hopefully you get another beauty to hang next to that one next year. Looks like you have a few more hanging next to that one was that your first full head mount? Great mount too, how many points 10 or 12?

Yep - first head mount. Technically he's a 5x6 as the little kicker you can see is 1 1/2 inches and therefore qualifies, but basically he's a 10. BTW Just to the left on the "Wall of Bull" is my last Ont buck from 2005 (shot him near Almonte, Ont) - the rest are all from NS.
The deer are safe from me for at least another year though, as I'm away this all fall and not back until Chirstmas.

My 2006 Buck

Freakin awesome bucks tho man and that bad boy deserved that place on your wall with the head mount beautiful buck. As if you cant hunt all hunting season that sucks I wouldnt be able to do it I live for hunting and fishing I have to make time for that in my schedule or I would seriously die I think.

My 2006 Buck

Saskie, Great story and that a impressive buck. Good job! Thumbs up

My 2006 Buck

Good job, It's like all those small antlers you have all added up lol , it looks like it has good mass

My 2006 Buck

Great story ...very nice buck !!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
2006 bull and buckj.olsen110/28/2007 21:38 pm
colorado mule deermasherbuck1003/07/2011 06:25 am
2006 Hunting Contestfirehunter32009/14/2006 21:51 pm
First BuckYoungbuck19811209/21/2007 14:12 pm
Rattlled in First BuckCVC1611/20/2007 11:45 am