11 replies [Last post]
MY 2005 12 point

This is my 2005 12 point taken at Dore Lake, Saskatchewan Canada. He weighed in at 300 pounds. He was the 13th. buck I ratteled in that morning.

MY 2005 12 point

Awesome buck!

Lucky 13, eh? For you, I mean, not the deer. Thumbs up

MY 2005 12 point

Nice deer there snytrophyhunter. Actually it is a beauty. the 13th deer you rattled in eh? that is pretty cool. You must have a few pointers to help a lad out do ya? If you feel like sharing some i would be pleased to listen so i could give it a shot this year. If you do not want to I understand, it may be one of those things you want to keep secret. thanks.

redrider's picture
MY 2005 12 point

REAL NICE Thumbs up Welcome to the site Big smile I'd like to hear some of your rattling knowledge also Yes

MY 2005 12 point

Well in all honesty, when it comes to ratteling, timing is everything. I've had varing degrees of sucesss over the years but in this particular hunt I hit the rut just right. I was hunting the third week of the season in Saskatchewan. The first two weeks had been extremly warm and dry. I arrived in camp on a Sunday afternoon just as the temperatures dropped and a front approached. We awoke early Monday morning to four inches of fresh snow and it was still coming down as we went into the bush. Temps were in the low twenties F.

My outfitter, Jim Williamson of Tower Lodge handed me a matching pair of BIG antlers from a wolf kill he had found. He suggested that if nothing were moving to give them a try for about 20 seconds, drop them and be ready.

Doe were moving at first light and I spotted one buck chasing a doe off in the distance. It got quiet for awhile and I gave the antlers a try. I first grunted a few times and crashed the antlers together. All hell then broke loose. Within seconds of finishing a sequence a little spike came trotting out of the bush quiclky followed by a six point. They sparred for a moment and an eight came charging in chasing off the other two.

Throughout the day whenever deer disappeared I'd do another sequence of grunting and rattling and nearly every time I did another buck would show. Different six, eights and a beautifull ten that was just not quite the size I was looking for but he sure did get a good looking over.

I had counted around 30 doe as well by that point. Finally around 3 oclock or so I did another sequence. I heard grunting from well behind and to the right of my stand. A doe came running past me. A huge ten point came crashing from the bush in hot pusuit of the doe. My gun was up and settleing on the ten point when I heard another grunt to my right. I turned my head and froze. There, not 10 yards from me stood the 12 point looking directly at me. It seemed like an eternity as I sat motionless expecting the buck to bolt. I was sure he had caught me raising my gun.

He finally began to slowly walk ahead and onto the trail leading directly away from me. At about 14 yards he turned broadside and looked back at me. By that time of course the crosshairs where right behind his shoulder. It was all over.

I'll be back there again this season with those same antlers and grunt tube. I can only hope of course that the same or similar conditions will prevail. Ratteling is certianly worth a try under those conditions. Keep the sequences to 20 seconds or less and be ready. If their going to respond it can happening very quickly.

Good hunting to all!!!

MY 2005 12 point

One more qiuck question for you. How long between sequences do you wait before you start again or do you just do it the once? Just curious because i have rattled a couple of times before but didn't really know what i was doing and I will tell you my sequences were over 20 seconds. Thanks.

redrider's picture
MY 2005 12 point

When I rattle I start out light and lead into some heavy crashing. My sequence will last anywhere from 30 sec. to 5 minutes. I wait and then start again every 20 - 30 minutes. I've heard fights before and those big boys will go at it a long time. I'm a big believer in using a rattle bag or antlers that produce the heaviest antler sound you can get.

MY 2005 12 point

I suppose it really depends on the conditions and proximety to the rut. I do not rattle heavily if the deer and running all over the place in prime rut. A little goes a long way and I vary the time between sequences. At other times, I'll start up gently and get to crashing them puppies around while also scraping trees & brush. Experiment at different times during your season. Just always be ready. Sometimes they'll sneak in and at others they'll be looking to run you over or simply not respond at all. It can work. Give it a try.

MY 2005 12 point

Thanks for the tips. I am going to give it a try this season for sure. Was out video taping this evening around my blind and saw four bucks, biggest being an 8. Most were all young and hopefully curious so when I give rattling a try they will come a looking.

MY 2005 12 point

Thumbs up Great looking Deer! Nice rack too! Thumbs up

You must of been feeling pretty good that day.

MY 2005 12 point

I just got the aging back on this deer. He was only three and a half. I wonder how he would have looked in another year or two.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
2005 picturesbuckfinatic003/09/2008 23:01 pm
Wisconsin's 2005 Deer Seasontoenail_23212/10/2004 21:00 pm
Need a question answered...GRT402/21/2011 09:27 am
2005 partridge huntatomikall1206/18/2007 00:43 am
CWD UPDATE 2005flounder001/02/2006 10:50 am