8 replies [Last post]
My 2003 archery buck Idaho....

I took yesterday off due to being real windy. So came home loaded the 4 wheeler and headed out. It was blowing hard core. My favorite time to hunt mule deer in the desert. Well I found some doe's out about a mile out and there where 2 doe's and a fawn. Next I found a small buck chasing a doe and kept going. I then came up over a hill and jumped 4 bucks which took off like they where on fire and tried to find them to no avail. I then went farther out and kept stopping and glassing and spotted this buck up on a small rise in some tore up sage brush. Not alot just enough to make someone wonder if anything is there. I threw on all my gear and started making a wide loop. Made my way all the way up to about 200 yds and now it was time to start the belly crawl. The wind was in my face and this buck was not going to move unless he was walked on.he was very cautious and looked at everything that was moving. this is why i love to hunt when it is windy. My theory is things are all moving and noise is there and stops some of there senses as they can't see everything when all is moving and the noise is there to damper your noise even up close. I moved all the way up to within 25 yds of him. I think he looked directly at me 3 times out of the 2 hours from leaving my 4 wheeler till i got 25 yds of him. I got a small piece of sagebrush between us just big enough to block his head. I got up on my knees and made a kissing noise which made him stand up.he was quartering toward me just a little. Knew to try and hit him right behind that leg would be to tricky so shot him next to the front leg threw his shoulder it went in left side hit the right shoulder broke the arrow which sent the 8" and broadhead. Well the arrow was sticking out of him and when he took a step the arrow broke and sent the 8" of arrow and broadhead to cut his lungs and heart up. He did not jump when hit he walked 15 yds and piled up. I walked all the way back to my 4 wheeler and rode back up to him and went threw my pack and my knife was not in my pack. Figured i would throw him on my bike and tie him down and haul him back to the truck and gut him there. Well my rope was gone. needless to say I had to ride 6 miles back to my truck and get rope and my knife. I came back and took the first pic and the rest where done at my friends house. Like I said he is 26 1/2" wide.
Here are the pics.

CONGRATS !!!! Good looking deer. At least someone got some good out of all that wind :smile:

I loved the story! I just have to ask... Where do you put your bow when you belly crawl? How do you keep it out of the way and still prevent it from sticking up and moving too much?

Thanks!

bitmasher's picture

Great buck Supersider! Looks like he had a decent body on him too.

Sounds like the wind definitely helped you out. It also was a blessing he was a loner, they seem to get harder to sneak up on when they are in groups. More noses, more eyes, more ears and if one doe spots you and blows the coup, they all do.... at least in my experience...

Nice too know that I'm not the only one that forgets stuff when I hit the field. :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: bitmasher on 2003-10-29 22:36 ]

Ozstriker,
It depends on where and when I am crawling. I usually dont nock an arrow till I am ready to shoot or get close. So I sometimes carry over both arms military style or I will move it up ahead of me then crawl up past and reach back to get it and move it ahead again. Just depends. It is awkward but find what works.LOL

Cool! Thanks for letting me know... I was supposed to be going on my first rifle hunt for mule deer in two weeks, but I live in San Diego and the DFG may be canceling the D16 season due to the wildfires.

Again: congrats on your buck!

P.s. haven't I seen a different picture of you and your bow with an even Bigger buck before?

Here are my 3 yrs of archery hunting bucks.
My first year 2001.

Last years buck 2002.

This years buck 2003.

2506deerslayer's picture

Great deer man!!
what did that 2002 buck score? I'm guessing about 170 to 175, or maybe more? just curious.
I need to get back into bow hunting, I did it for a couple years and loved it but got away from it cause I didn't have the time to go out so I have been rifle and black powder hunting for the last couple years but plan on getting back to bow hunting next year!

He grossed 182 P&Y. Love bow hunting.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
06 buck north idaho buck add a bull to that also. 2nd bucktim2712/13/2006 09:20 am
Shed hunting/pic of my first Idaho uckBBD303/13/2007 20:55 pm
unit 39 idaho archery/riflemasherbuck001/09/2007 00:44 am
Idaho Archery unit 48 helpmattlc009/15/2009 10:37 am
Idaho General Archery??clearwaterart108/06/2008 15:23 pm