5 replies [Last post]
Muzzleloader, Bull, GMUs 35, 36, and 361 of CO

Hello all!

I just posted about my wife's hunt.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Now, I have a Buck Deer and Bull Elk tag for the Muzzleloader season in GMUs 35, 36, and 361.  The season is Sept. 11-19.  I am leaning towards the Eagle's Nest Wilderness Area leaving from the Piney Lake area, the Castle Peak area in Wolcott, and also Red and White Mountain.  I like the accessibility and closeness of Castle Peak, but will elk be there that early in the year?  However, I don't know much about 361, either.  Where do you think the best place to get both an elk and deer would be?  I will be hunting the entire season.

Thanks!

exbiologist's picture
The Big Deer will still be at timberline

Unless you want to hunt the fringes of private lands, the big deer will be way high during that time of year, and so will the elk.  I know you said you had an ATV and that's a big help in the new unit 361, where ATVs can be put to good use.  Red and White Mountain is extremely popular and close to town, so expect company.  Hit the high country and you'll have a better time.

Where is my Best Timberline Bet?

Exbiologist,

Thanks for the information.  I could tell that Red and White Mountain would be busy.  It is very accessible.  Do you think the areas in GMU 361 are going to be high enough at that time of year?  Is my best bet the Eagle's Nest and Gore Range for timberline access?  How about Castle Peak?  Is that too low for being that early?  I want to find the best spot possible, and then hunt all week.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I've hunted 35 during the

I've hunted 35 during the muzzleloader season quite a few years ago and found out that 90% of the elk will hang out on the priviate property close to the top.  I hunted out of Gypsum and north to whats called Red Dirt Ranch I think.  You go through the private property and then need a atv or 4 wheeler to head up  the hill.  Once on top you are on the edge of the private property but if you follow the creek around you will be on BLM.  I did see a few elk in this area.  Also the area up around Blue Lake holds some but it is heavely hunted.  There is just way too much private on that hill to even really consider it during the early seasons.  You need a snow storm to drive them off of the top and onto BLM. 

Critter, After you said that

Critter,

After you said that I looked at the map and do see a lot of private land to the west of Castle Peak.  I would get to Castle Peak off of 131 on our ATVs.  Are you referring to Castle Peak when you say the hill?

Also, do people hunt elk or deer near Blue Lake?  It didn't look like the best elk terrain when I was there a few weeks ago.  I was surpised you said that.

Thanks!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
The elk will come into that

The elk will come into that area after they get pushed off of the top.  You may have a few all year but not too many.  I had a late season cow tag up there and that is were a lot of them hanged out at that year.  I've seen a few in the cedars and pinion during the fall seasons and know of a couple of hunters that usually will bag one every couple of years out of Gypsum but it is tough.  And yes when I refer to the hill I mean the top private area and Castle Peak. 

Related Forum Threads You Might Like