7 replies [Last post]
mule deer hunting in units 75&751

Does anyone know about the area around beaver meadows and sauls creek
We will be hunting the 3rd rifle season. I hunted elk in unit 79 last year, only saw mule deer, couldn't get a deer permit there, so 75 &751 was our second choice. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
ljstars

Re: mule deer hunting in units 75&751
ljstars wrote:
Does anyone know about the area around beaver meadows and sauls creek
We will be hunting the 3rd rifle season. I hunted elk in unit 79 last year, only saw mule deer, couldn't get a deer permit there, so 75 &751 was our second choice. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
ljstars

Is this question for Colorado or another state?

I was asking if anyone had any infro about units 75 and 751 mule deer hunting
in Colorado. Sorry I hadn't answered sooner. There sure are some nice pictures posted
, I'm really looking forward to coming out and hunting the area
thanks

ljstars wrote:
in Colorado. Sorry I hadn't answered sooner. There sure are some nice pictures posted
thanks

I'm not familiar with that area. I hope you have a great hunt and get into them. Let us know how you end up doing on your hunt.

Hiker wrote:
ljstars wrote:
thanks

I'm not familiar with that area. I hope you have a great hunt and get into them. Let us know how you end up doing on your hunt.

Quote:

Thanks for the post, we haven't hunted mule deer before, but I assume it is similar to hunting white tail. I believe we will be hunting just before rutting
begins being the 1st week in November. Do you use rattling and grunt calls
on mule deer? We will be sure to let you know about the trip.
Later
ljstars

It won't be the same as hunting whitetails. Spot & stalk muledeer hunting can be physically demanding, i hope you're in good shape. Whitetails are spooky & get nervous at every little sound. A mature mule deer buck is every bit as smart or smarter than an old whitetail buck. If he spooks he may not stop until he runs to the next county. A whitetail may only run 100-200 yards or so. Keep the wind in your face, find a high vantage point early in the morning & do a lot of glassing. If you spot a big buck on the move, try & figure out where he's headed & try & cut him off, keep the wind in your favor. A lot of guys make the mistake to just head straight at him, the problem is he might not be alone & muledeer always check their trail to see if somethings following them. Be prepared for a long shot & did i mention "keep the wind in your face"

Best of luck!

7 Mag, has given you a lot of good info. I personally haven't tried rattling them before. I hunt them spot and stalk and spend a lot of time glassing for them. They usually will bed after the sun comes up, sometimes a little later. Look for parts of the body, instead of the whole deer. They don't need much cover to hide really well. Do a grid type of pattern with your binos and don't give up, keep searching. Once you spot a buck that you want, have a plan of attack, on how you are going to get closer. Use the terrain to your advantage and stay out of sight and as 7 Mag said, "Keep the wind in your face", even if you have to go a 1/2 mile out of your way.

Thanks for answering my questions, i've heard and read conflicting stories.
We are going to stay at Vallecito Lake and check out the areas of Tuckerville,
Sauls creek and beaver meadows, the altitude of 7000 to 13000 ft. We aill take
a lot of pictures hopefully of deer and elk, maybe a kill we can post.
What areas do you hunt?
Thanks again
later
ljstars

Related Forum Threads You Might Like