10 replies [Last post]
Mossberg 835 with buckshot- need help

I'm trying to take my 835 deer hunting this season. Does anyone have any experience hunting with one? I'm wondering what choke/size shot to use. Some people tell me to use an open, some say full, some say extra full..... I patterned it with a turkey choke and an improved cylinder last week with 00 and 000, but both patterned terribly. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks!

First off... Are you sure Buck shot is legal in your state? Several states dont allow it is why I ask. And to answer your question I have never, myself, been able to get it to pattern worth a fiddlers damn myself. Tried everything from a skeet choke to a full and none would get worth a crap. Past 25 yards and I was hitting WAY to far outside for me personaly to consider safe. Get outside of a 9 inch pattern and you are running the risk of a few balls going lord knows where because they aint hitting the deer. This is why several states illegalized it. As well as too many deer just being injured and not downed with it.

IC or Modified will do fine. The best 00 on the market is Federal Tactical or Hornaday TAP. I have tested both and they rock. Patteren you gun at perspective ranges and go hunting. The above loads keep into a nice tight pattern in all 20 department issued Moss. 590s I patterned.

If I had to chose I would rather hunt with a slug. From what I have killed with 00 the deer don't bleed real well when hit. Plus a slug would about double your range. Your gun, your money, your hunt. Best of luck.

Hey thanks I'm gonna go pattern it again today. In regards to legality of the buckshot- its legal and its actually illegal to hunt with a rifle in my county. In regards to slugs, my gun cant shootem and I'm too broke to buy a slug barrel... Maybe santa will bring me one for christmas, that would be nice.....

That sucks that you're forced to use buckshot, after finding loads of buckshot healed over in the necks of deer and losing half the meat off another one that had been hit by buckshot earlier in the season I'm converted to slugs if i'm hunting with a shotgun. That being said at close range i love #4 buckshot for coyotes.

I too have an 835 and the smooth 28 that came with it is dangerous to shoot slugs through.

I know it's expensive but I had to buy the tropy slugster barrel with the attached scope mount. After trying multiple brands, I found the 3" Remington Copper Solid Sabots grouped best for me (3-4" @ 100 yds.) 125 yd shots are not unreasonable with propper rest. Definitely worth considering.

But back to you quandry, I like 000 for coyotes w/ extended turkey choke. Shoot 3" though, unless you practice alot to get follow-up control needed for the 3.5" ers. and for deer a second (and/or third) shot would be a good idea. Even dogs need another now and then. Best thing I can offer is, wait for the deer to stop, close, real close (for penetration).

Best of luck

Nismo1 wrote:
I too have an 835 and the smooth 28 that came with it is dangerous to shoot slugs through.

Why?

I was wondering the same thing remmy. Never seen one that was dangerous to shoot a slug out of. Except maybe the older ones that had extra full choke built into the barrel and not changable. That 28 inch smooth bore should be fine and dandy with a slug with IC choke (improved cylinder)

I'm glad you asked...

From Mossberg's website/ 835 owners manual:
"all 835® Ulti-Mag® smooth bore barrels are overbored to 10 gauge bore dimensions, reducing recoil and producing exceptionally uniform patterns from both light and heavy shot charges. "

A slug supposedly rattles down the barrel. That's pretty much it. The slug could turn in the barrel...

Hope it helps.

All be damned, didn't know that.

Nismo1 wrote:
I'm glad you asked...

From Mossberg's website/ 835 owners manual:
"all 835® Ulti-Mag® smooth bore barrels are overbored to 10 gauge bore dimensions, reducing recoil and producing exceptionally uniform patterns from both light and heavy shot charges. "

A slug supposedly rattles down the barrel. That's pretty much it. The slug could turn in the barrel...

Hope it helps.

I learned something new today. Thumbs up I wonder what kind of velocities that shotgun is getting with all that gas escaping around the wad?

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Mossberg 930 barrel combo for kid ? Recoil ?candleman105/06/2013 20:19 pm
Buckshot Questionwhitetailfever308/30/2009 12:52 pm
2 questionsSouthernfryedyankee704/03/2006 02:31 am
chokes and buckshotJPatton61409/19/2006 21:41 pm
buckshot on Predatorsniceshot_smitty611/01/2011 17:56 pm