5 replies [Last post]
Mossberg 535 slug sight trouble

I have a Mossberg 535 with iron sights. I had to move the rear sight as far fight as it would go without falling off, and had to move the front sight to the left quite a bit to get it to shoot straight. Which gives a funny sight picture. I put a laser bore sight in it and the laser was dead on when the sights were perfectly centered but it shot 18 inches left. Now the laser is way right but the slug hits where the sights are at 50 yards. I tried 3 different slugs with different velocities.

Any Ideas why it would be so far off when even the laser was dead on? I know the laser is supposed to get you close but 18 in off at 50 yards is not close. Is it worth it to send it back to mossberg after deer season? I think I will have to put up with it this year.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I'm not real sure but I guess

I'm not real sure but I guess I would contact Mossberg first. Is the rear sight on the barrell or the reciever. I was thinking if it's on the reciever that maybe the barrell is not in line  properly and that's why the lazer doesn't match up. Just a thought but it's all I can offer especially since you have already tried different loadds with the same results.

I was thinking the same as

I was thinking the same as Hunter25.  If the rear sight is on the receiver maybe try removing and refitting the barrel to see if that re-aligns the barrel to the receiver.  If it does and helps front/rear sight alignment, put a witness mark on both receiver and barrel so you can do back to the right place  whenever you need.

You might want to try installing a peep sight on the receiver.  If you haven't used them before they can take a little getting use to (hint, keep both eyes open) but you might just like them.  Personally I love 'em.

Either way, give Mossberg service office a call & let us know what they say, good or bad.

Both sights are on the

Both sights are on the barrel. I would love to have a peep sight on it, but it may be in the way with the other barrel. I am still waiting to hear back from Mossberg.

Critter's picture
Have you tried a different

Have you tried a different brand of slugs just to see where they are hitting? 

I have a rifle that shoots 250 grain bullets to the right of impact of everything else that I shoot out of it by about 5 or 6 inches.  I figured that I didn't need those 250 grain bullets so I just don't shoot them

Federal Barnes blue tip

Federal Barnes blue tip expander 3/4 slugs at 1900 ft per sec were about 18 in left nice group

Fusion 3/4 slugs at 1900 ft per sec were about 18 in left in a larger group than the Barnes expanders

Federal Barnes expander 1oz slugs were 22 in left in a really large group.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
how far wiill a slug kill a deer?alan208/23/2006 20:18 pm
Mossberg 930 barrel combo for kid ? Recoil ?candleman105/06/2013 20:19 pm
Sabot Slug reccomendationsNight Raider410/22/2006 14:50 pm
Mossberg 190 19 guageNight Raider603/03/2007 09:23 am
Mossberg 810 A BoltJTapia411/20/2011 14:50 pm