6 replies [Last post]
Moose in units 18 & 181

After putting in for 18 years I drew a tag for a cow moose in units 18 & 181. I'm not familiar with this area and would appreciate any local knowledge. Thanks!

Forgot to say that's Colorado

Forgot to say that's Colorado 18 and 181

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Congrats on that tag.  I have

Congrats on that tag.  I have all but given up on ever drawing a moose tag in Colorado.  I can't be much help but would suggest as you already know is to get into the area and do some scouting.  Moose being what they are will not move very far as long as they have food and people don't disturb them. 

Good luck on the hunt and let us know how it turns out.

Orion-CO's picture
Unit 18 moose

Believe it or not, but I drew the very first cow moose tag in unit 18 in 1995, the first year that unit opened up for moose hunting.  Back then it was strictly a random draw with no preference points, and it was the very first year I applied for a moose tag.  I got my cow on North Supply Creek.  I haven't been back there in many years, but there was a trail head at the end of the Supply Creek road (which ends at North Supply Creek) and there was a snowmobile trail that took off from there and branched off into many other trails.  Back then those trails were closed off to ATV's, so hopefully it has stayed that way.  I walked those trails and found my cow that way, but I would think you should be able to find moose anywhere along the Supply Creek road.

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Congratulation on drawing

Congratulation on drawing your tag. The only area I know is off of country road 4 just south of Grand Lake. Have driven the roads and hiked a few of the creeks and usually see a few moose each time. I know it is not a lot of help but it is a good place to start scouting. Get out as often as you can so you can take some of the guess work out of the hunt. Good luck.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Very Nice! Congrats!

Very Nice! Congrats!

BleuBijou's picture
moose

Always seems to be Cows on Willow creek. Should be a easy hunt until it falls to the ground...

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
MONSTER MOOSEsimonw509/30/2007 15:53 pm
Idaho Moose Hunting with Father - Information Requestmarcusmcdonald207/06/2009 22:54 pm
Idaho MooseCO-Bear004/03/2005 16:53 pm
Idaho Unit 29 Moose Hunt with Fathermarcusmcdonald406/08/2012 09:38 am
Moose in Washington StateIceman508/04/2007 20:29 pm