18 replies [Last post]
Moose hunting with a Lee Enfield .303

A quick question to the experts. I have the opportunity to purchace a "highly modified" Lee Enfield .303 (pourly sportorized and painted camo). I noticed on rear of the bolt action it says .222. The man selling it says he uses it for moose! I have only been hunting seriously for 2 years and have always used my Ruger 300 mag. I am always the "dogger" as the other 7 gentalmen are much older and sit in the tree stands. I was wondering if I could use this Enfield as it is much lighter than the Ruger and easier to trek thru the bush.
I have got the bull 2 years in a row, but never shot more than 100 yards. Think

The .303 enfield probably accounts for more moose shot than just about any other caliber in Canada. The lee enfields flooded Canada after the war and have been in use ever since. You'll have no problem hunting moose with it. Keep your shots under 250 yds and you'll be fine. Thumbs up

Much thanks

Greatly appreciated.

That rifle should work just fine asuming the barrel hasn't been shot out some of these rifles are old, some were in service before WWI and have been floating around Canada and the world ever since.

While I agree with the.303 being around for years, I haven't seen one in use around here for probably 15 or 20 years now. Thats not to say they're no good anymore but likely most hunters have picked up something a bit more pleasing to the eye. At one time they were considered something cheap to buy until one could afford something better.

there very much still alive and well on the east coast Thumbs up

Thanks ...the barrel and action look great but the camo stock has to go. I'll build one.[/img]

You can buy after market synthetic stocks for the various lee enfields as well. The N0.3 Mk 1 and No.4 Mk 3 syn stocks are quite easy to get in Canada.

SIR in Canada has them as well as Cabelas in the USA. Others like Marstar probably have them as well. They are made by Ram line and are not that bad. I have one on a sporterized No3 mk 1.

I built this stock for my .22 Lakefield Mark II and it was alot easier than I thought. And it only cost $20 in wood and 25 hrs in labour.

PreviewAttachmentSize
rifle.jpg
rifle.jpg12.95 KB

Nothing stopping you from building one for the 303. They should be easy to fit and you have the old stock to go off of. Can you strip the old camo off the existing stock and sand down to natural wood?

The stock thats on it looks like a lumberjack made with leftover scraps. I'll use it to match up the inletting for the action, but thats about it.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like