20 replies [Last post]
Moose with a 270 Win.

In the event you had to hunt moose with a 270, would you prefer to use 140 to 160 grain Nosler Partitions or Swift A-Frames? Any reason they would not get the job done so long as a little discretion on the shot? Think

Moose with a 270 Win.

The 270 win is my choice of calibre for deer AND moose. I prefer 150 gr Nosler Ballistics tips but the ones you mentioned would surely do fine.
Or give me a few Remingtons,Federals or Winchester in 150 gr and I'd be very happy.
The moose,although a big animal, does not require a big calibre, just the proper bullet, 150 grs or heavier in my opinion.

Just to add, the last moose i shot was with the 270 at about 50 yards,broadside, didn't fall,didn't move, but I knew the shot was center lung so i didn't fire again, but was prepared to.About five second later the moose dropped dead, not taking a step. Odd creature they are.
That won't happen with a deer, it either drops or runs.

Moose with a 270 Win.

I was wondering the same thing. I've got a 30-06 and a 270. I'd shoot 150's in the 270 and 180 in the 30-06. I would like to use my 270. Should I?

Barnes XLC .264 mm

I shoot a 6.5-284 Norma and will be using a 140 grn XLC Barnes. Case is about the same as .270 Win. What sold me on Copper bullets was Barnes themselves as they are into Velocity. I'll get 2800 fps with a 140 grn bullet and with the .264 the S.D. is .287 with the B.C. .522. Penetration should be more then I'll need for a shot under 200 yds. Plus, recoil will be on my side as the .270 will be on yours.

Here is a web site that I found that has eye opening info. It is foreign but you will get the picture.

http://www.jegeren.com/hjemmelading/jaktkuler/premiumkuler.htm

Also, Barnes has great info. This page has neat photos.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/x-citingfacts.php

Just a different look at the big picture. I shoot this gun all year round. I'm very comfortable with it and I know how to handle it well. I think that is as important as bullet selection. Think

Steve
Barrington, NH

Moose with a 270 Win.

highwaystar - Thanks for posting the links.
(How do you find this stuff -- retorical ?)

Moose may not be hard to kill, but they are thick through the shoulder. I would aim for the ribs.

Moose with a 270 Win.

MNHunter, please stick with the 30-06. When you take an animal we owe it to them to take every step to make clean kills and the .270 has always been a marginal moose rifle. We always hear about the one shot kills but never the ones that don't drop and are never found. Unfortunately, we all aren't Jack O'Connors.

Moose with a 270 Win.

I think it is fair to consider that bullets & bullet construction have come a long way since Jack O'Connor's time. So long as a little discretion is used, along with a good bullet, the 270 can handle a moose.
That said, my first choice is a 35 Whelen. But if a problem developed with that rifle, I would not feel bad using a 270 I have been hunting with for 30-some years.
It will group the160 Partitions into 3/4". The A-Frames into about 1 1/2".
My question was trying to get at the importance of penetration, based on others experience & observations.
Sincerely appreciate all your thoughts!

Moose with a 270 Win.

I always try to include a reality factor when considering a caliber for a specific use. Ballistically, the 270 is fine for moose given todays bullet design and construction. But I tend to consider a persons ability to hit an animal where he's supposed to under conditions that will likely include the shakes from hearing a bull crashing through the brush, or hearing one answer a call, or gasping for breath after pushing through birch and maple saplings on the side of a hill. I just think the heavier 30 cals are a little more forgiving if a moose isn't hit exactly where he has to be to put him down.

Moose with a 270 Win.

fishdog52 wrote

My question was trying to get at the importance of penetration, based on others experience & observations.

I 've seen over a dozen or so moose taken with none other than the 22 long. In those days, long ago, some poor folks were lucky if they had a single shot 22 and a few shells kicking around. This was by no means a Sport, it was food on the table for more than one household.
The Lung Shots(all of them) were probably out to 75 yards or a little further in some cases. The animals were always recovered.
I guess I'm talking shot placement here providing your within kiling range.
To this day I have never shot a moose or deer for the rack, and I would be extremely ticked off at myself if I ruined one unnecesary ounce of meat.
Regardless of all the gear I have now, old hunting habits are hard to break.
If I ever shoot a deer or mose with the World Biggest Rack, you can have it for the asking.
Good luck on your hunt.
, Thumbs up

Ballistic tips

The ballistic tips would not be a good choice as they are intended to have long range accuracy with minimal damage upon impact such as for shooting predators. The partitions are a much better bullet for causing alot of damage while retaining alot of bullet weight.
Accubonds have a ballistic tip for accuracy as well as many of the same quilities as the partition and would also be a good choose for the moose.

Personally I wouldn't use anything under 30 caliber for moose. I use a .338 ultra with 225 grain partitions for most Alaskan Big Game. Yes

Moose with a 270 Win.

I have a moose hunt in Canada coming up and am hunting with my .270 using 140 grain Winchester Fail Safe Supremes, the only bullet I would trust to take down a moose with a .270. Did an outstanding job on my elk last year.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Moose in Washington StateIceman508/04/2007 20:29 pm
Mainland MooseWingman608/22/2007 15:24 pm
Moose call timeHammer1408/05/2008 14:47 pm
Moose or Elk?Redfeatherhunter1009/25/2011 11:03 am
VT - Bull MooseHunt-n-Fish-VT811/12/2005 23:58 pm