No replies
Montana Elk Archery 900-20

Just wondering if anyone else out there has applied for Montana's 900-20 archery tag. This will be my first hunt in MT. I applied for the Big Game Combo, and I'm researching some of these areas. If I draw I will be looking at either The Highwood Mountains, Big Snowy's and possibly some land locked BLM that has recently received a lot of controversial publicity. As of right now I will be hunting solo since my partner backed out at the last minute. I have hunted Unit 54 in CO successfully 2 out of 3 times so I'm prepared for whatever MT can throw at me. So far I have heard there are great bulls in the Highwood's and it is over objective, but there seems to be a fair amount of competition. This area looks like there are a lot of Coulees and Draws that look like they would be fun to hunt even solo. The Big Snowy's look like there is some great terrain to hide some good elk, but may be challenging solo. Has anyone hunted here. Specifically wondering about swimming woman creek access or up near the Red Hill access area. The Durfee Hills is the other area, but I have mixed feelings about this. This could be a great experience getting flown in by helicopter, but it also seems like it could be a high priced hunt with some competition in a smaller area. especially with all the controversy surrounding this right now. Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Montana Archery Antelope Huntnogamelikebiggame003/03/2010 10:17 am
Montana Decoysarcheryelk908/11/2010 23:00 pm
2005 tagsNONYA1209/10/2005 20:49 pm
DIY Montana HD 416bgreen102/09/2010 10:57 am
Montana elk hunting questionmountainprowler302/05/2007 17:28 pm