9 replies [Last post]
Montana Elk for 2012, looking for ideas

I'm thinking about a 2012 Elk hunt in Montana.  The unit I'm looking at is 322 between Wisdom and Dillon Montana.  Probably the biggest reason I'm saying that unit is because it looks like it is mostly public land.  What I'm looking to do is getting an outfitter who guides this area for the first year then just try it DIY style for later years.  My questions are; Is 322 a decent area for elk? Secondly, any recommended outfitters who guide this area?  Lastly, is the area conducive for a DIY elk hunting or is it too tough without horses to pack in?  I'm interested in opinions. 

buckykm1's picture
Montana

I DIY Elk hunt just east of unit 322, it seems to be a decent area, i have hunted it the last 3 years, i don't see a lot of Elk, i am still learning the area, but i have got my Elk 2 out of the 3 years, i gun hunt.

Just curious, what part of the country do you live ?.

Kevin

I live in North Dakota. 

I live in North Dakota. 

In the original post I meant

In the original post I meant to say unit 332 not 322. 

buckykm1's picture
Wolves

I am not 100% positive ?, but i believe that 332 is getting really close to where the wolves are really bad ?, you may want to do some checking on that too ?.

Kevin

That's good to know, I'll

That's good to know, I'll look into it. 

What unit do you hunt?  Would you mind sharing some details about your hunt and maybe a few pics? 

buckykm1's picture
Sorry

Sorry, but i have spend 3 years learning the area i hunt, i am not willing to share that. but i am more then happy to help you with general info.

Kevin

buckykm1- I can understand

buckykm1- I can understand not sharing details of the location.  I do appreciate the offer to help with general info.  What kind of things have you learned that you could offer?

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I don't have any info on

I don't have any info on Montana, but I wanted to say welcome to the site! I am also trying to work in a DIY elk hunt next year, but I will most likely be going to Colorado if I do.  I have heard great things about Montana elk, the only negative being the recent changes in the non-resident fees.

Be sure to check out the forums on the site.  There is lots of information to be found, especially with elk hunting.  Be sure to throw up any photos or stories you have of your past hunts!

buckykm1's picture
Access

One of the biggest things i see in MT is access, a lot of the roads are closed on the NF, so it makes it difficult to get around, so get in great shape, Get a NF map and that will show you what roads are open and closed.

Kevin

Related Forum Threads You Might Like