5 replies [Last post]
JimmyB's picture
Model 870 SPS™ ShurShot Synthetic Turkey

I'm looking at getting this gun for the upcoming Turkey hunt but I also hunt pheasant and waterfowl and bunnies, would this shotgun do very well with those with the short barrel? Or does anyone have this gun and has tried out different chokes or changed the barrel and has found what works best for that? I really have my eye set on this gun but if I'm only gonna really be able to use it for turkey and thats it then I need to find something different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Jimmy

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Re: Model 870 SPS™ ShurShot Synthetic Turkey

I think the 870 is a good choice for turkey. Try different chokes for your other hunting, I don't tihink you need a longer barrel for what you desribe. If you do then you can pick up one from Cabelas, Brownells, Midway, etc fairly inexpensive. The 870 is one heck of a turkey gun. Remington makes an extra full turkey choke that produces awesome results for about $20, cheapest/best patterning choke we have found for the 870's in our camp. But that choke doesn't work as well in the 11-87, go figure. You can't go wrong with that choice. Roll'em over

WesternHunter's picture

For waterfowl, pheasant and bunnies I would steer clear of any stock with an extended pistol grip or thumb hole grip. That's just me. It may work great while sitting and taking careful aims at turkeys heads, but your are going to find that the extended grip really gets in the way of point shooting for other flying birds and rabbits. Besides, you can always hunt turkeys with a regular stock on a shotgun too, people have done it for years. For some odd reason the industry is really pushing for the consumer to want extended pistol grips and thumb hole grips and I don't know why or see a good reason for it, except that some people think it looks cool and tactical. I can see it's place in turkey hunting, but that's about it.

However I think if you plan to hunt turkey, waterfowl, pheasnt, and bunnies a barrel of 24 to 26 inches is a good compromise. Just as long as you have interchangeable chokes.

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

It's a matter of preference, but I feel I can shoot/swing my shotgun better with the pistol grip on it. I hunt turkeys, doves, rabbits, quail, ducks with the same shotgun. The pistol grip puts your hand in a more relaxed/natural position to be able to handle the shotgun. I feel I have more control over the shotgun. Just my opinion.

Although I have never hunted with a extended grip on a shotgun, I have shot with them during IPSC competitions(tactical shooting). I found that they point easier for me as well as taming the recoil and being able to pump the shotgun faster. The one big drawback that I saw using them, and the reason I switched back, is that reloading fast and on the run them is just a pain in the butt. The grip gets in the way of fast reloading. It was maybe only a few seconds in a stage but it all counts.

JimmyB's picture

Well for duck,pheasant and bunnies I've just always used my Dads 870 express with a 28" barrel and the only thing I didn't like about it is how long the stock was. It took to long to get the butt of the stock into my shoulder so if I had to take a quick shot I always ended up putting it right onto my bicep and after shooting 100 rounds my bicep would be all blue and black haha. I went to Cableas and looked at the 870 surshot turkey and really liked how short it was and actually liked the pistol grip a lot. I ended up ordering it from budsgunshop online but I bought a choke for it at Cabelas that should work out for when I go duck or pheasant or bunny hunting. So I guess we'll see how it does when I get it this week. And if I end up not liking it I can always sell it and get something different. All the shotguns that I would really like are $1,200-1,500 bucks and I just don't want to pay that much and I ended up getting the 870 Turkey for $410 shipped so I can't complain about that. I'll post up how it does next weekend after I try it out so wish me luck!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
model 70gpcinc1103/25/2011 06:53 am
Re-Stocking a model 70jigman208/14/2005 22:00 pm
winchester model 70 classic stainlessVlad Dracule106/25/2010 14:46 pm
synthetic stock questionChuck-n-Alaska2711/19/2008 13:01 pm
Remington Model 700ML Muzzleloaderdustinr1977311/19/2009 06:30 am