30 replies [Last post]
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
But if I stayed there, I

But if I stayed there, I might die of a heart attack hanging out with all those trophies you have.... lol

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Not at all.....

Ca_Vermonster wrote:

But if I stayed there, I might die of a heart attack hanging out with all those trophies you have.... lol

It would just help you have sweet dreams............ :yes: :lol:

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Yeah, but you might come cown

Yeah, but you might come cown in the morning to find an arrow stuck in the neck of one of your mounts, or it's head blown off..... lol

WVbuckmaster's picture
Sept 30 - Oct 10th

What about camping at 9300 feet about 40 miles southwest of Cody, Wyoming during this time?  Do you think it will be the same scenerio?

WesternHunter's picture
both states

WVbuckmaster wrote:

What about camping at 9300 feet about 40 miles southwest of Cody, Wyoming during this time?  Do you think it will be the same scenerio?

Colorado and Wyoming offer very similar climates.  However I would assume around Cody, Wyoming you're likely to see a bit more snow and a bit earlier too.

11,000 ft today was perfect.

11,000 ft today was perfect. My last day to scout. My season starts tomorrow.

The only bad part of the day was hiking back to my Jeep and my dog got into a porcupine. I just got him out of the vet. About 500-600 quills all over his face, and inside his mouth. Poor guy. He never wimpered once through the whole thing. Good dog.

I was also at and above

I was also at and above 11,000ft today.  PErfect weather until the storm cloud rolled in about 2pm and dropped a few wet snow flakes for about 10 minutes. 

Ouch!

Sorry to hear about your dog and certainly glad he's ok. I had a run in with a porcupine many years ago and picked up about a dozen quills. Hundreds, though? OUCH.

Good luck with your hunt, stick a big one!

It's a numbers game

First season in October in Colorado at any elevation in elk country it can be a balmy 70 degrees at 3pm and by sundown the temp can drop 40 degrees and keep dropping as a front with heavy snow moves in.  And then there is the wind.  This happened to me about four years ago ... came back to camp just in time to see the wind nearly flip my pop-up camper on its side.  Hooked a tow strap to the axles and to the bumper of my truck so I could put some tension on it to keep it from flipping over.  Snowed close to a foot that night and went down to about 5 degrees.  Canvas separated a bit from the roof of the pop up.  Couldn't get a weather report on the radio and thought I might be in for a donner party experience.  This was at about 7,000 ft.  THe wind was really the worst part. 

Had I been in a three-season tent I would have ended up sleeping in my truck that night, and would have likely had to pack it in the next morning and thus ruin my hunt... just as all the critters started moving down.

Also checking the weather report several days in advance is of limited value in mid October in the high country.  The forecasts can flip too quickly.  Better to assume in your planning that you will get caught in some very nasty winter weather some time during your trip, that the bad weather will likely improve your hunting, and that you will want to be able to continue hunting the morning after the storm.  This means 4x4 with chains.  Adequate shelter. Heat.  Cold weather bag. Serious winter clothes.  A second pair of boots with heavy insulation.  It also means not camping too far off the beaten path.  You are there to hunt, not to worry about getting rescued, right?

Volatile weather

As a Colorado native I agree with all the comments on the bipolar nature of our weather. And I second the above comments as to the wind. I have had family tents (3 season) and screen tents/ sun shelters shredded by the wind in the mountains...even in the summer.

That said, we will probably be camping around 11,000 feet in 2nd rifle this year. Why? Because unit 500 elevations start around 10,000 and most of that is along 285 on private land. We'll see where plans a,b,c,d,e take us, but we do have a good outfitter tent with a stove. We also cover it with a tarp to hep shed snow and prevent too much moisture from seeping through.

I'd say 2 sets real chains are mandatory. Saved my bacon one year, and my transmission! Plan to get stuck a day or two and you won't freak out if it happens. Good Luck!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
High or low?Remington742210/22/2013 17:36 pm
Idaho - New and some muley questionsemberglo509/07/2011 17:57 pm
Big game hunt camping trip?ndemiter505/17/2011 17:47 pm
Camping World=Anti Hunting????Critter603/19/2012 21:55 pm
Transfer of Elk tagRemington7421008/23/2011 13:19 pm