30 replies [Last post]
That sounds like a much

That sounds like a much better Idea.

buckykm1's picture
Camping

In mid October, in the mountains, i wouldn't even think about camping that high, the weather can change to fast that time of year. jmo

Kevin

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Good info in this thread

Good info in this thread guys, as I will be hitting the second season next year around the same time.  Just curious, for anyone familiar with the unit 62 area, what is the average elevation that one can expect to be at there? 

I might be hunting solo, and am figuring out how I will be camping.  If I am going to just set up along a road, or actually head back in a little bit.

WesternHunter's picture
GMU 62

Ca_Vermonster wrote:

Good info in this thread guys, as I will be hitting the second season next year around the same time.  Just curious, for anyone familiar with the unit 62 area, what is the average elevation that one can expect to be at there? 

I might be hunting solo, and am figuring out how I will be camping.  If I am going to just set up along a road, or actually head back in a little bit.

Don't know much about GMU 62 except that it's around Montrose.  Haven't been that way since I was a boy.  I will tell you having been born and raised here and having lived here a good portion of my life, October here can offer anything from 89 degrees with sunshine to 20 degrees with nearly 4 feet of snow.  Mark my words, I've seen it go from both those two extreams within a 3 day period before, no joke. October of 1997 comes to mind, and that was in Denver.  The high country generally is more moody when in comes to weather.  Then again I recall last October when most of the state was experiencing some relatively mild weather. In fact on the front range last winter it it didn't begin to even feel like winter until around New Years.

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2nd season

Ca_Vermonster I have been in the area several time but never hunted it. I would suggest getting a Colorado Gazetteer Map Atlas as those maps are pretty detailed and will show you the elevation in your area. Area 62 is pretty big and the terrain is very diverse so snow will really depend on your area/elevation. Plan to camp below 9000 or even 8000 feet if you can and take the drive/hike higher if that is where you want to hunt. As stated several time in other posts, the weather can be very difficult to figure. Anything form upper 60’s and bright sunshine to 10 degrees and a blizzard. You need to be prepared for both but bet more on the colder side. Better to have more gear and not need it than not enough gear and freezer you butt off. Also if you have chains bring them and if you don’t consider getting some as the mud can get nasty and is as slick as snot on a glass door knob.    

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Thanks for the info.  I will

Thanks for the info.  I will check out that map. 

Ideally, I would like to find someone to go with me, for safety, and fun.  But, if I go solo, I don't know if I want to be 2 miles off road, camping, in unfamiliar territory.  Even though it may limit my hunting or possible success, I might feel safer heading back to an area close to the vehicle to camp each night.

We'll see.  Lots of stuff happening between now and then.

WesternHunter's picture
where to camp

Ca_Vermonster wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I will check out that map. 

Ideally, I would like to find someone to go with me, for safety, and fun.  But, if I go solo, I don't know if I want to be 2 miles off road, camping, in unfamiliar territory.  Even though it may limit my hunting or possible success, I might feel safer heading back to an area close to the vehicle to camp each night.

We'll see.  Lots of stuff happening between now and then.

I think people get the wrong idea about how far to get away from a road to hunt.  It doesn't mean you have to camp that far off a road or camp out in the boonies, or at 11000 ft.  The hunting pressure will always be far less once you get 1 or more miles from a  road, sometimes as little as 1/2 mile changes your odds, but that does not mean you have to get that far out to set up camp.  Where you hunt and where you camp are two totally different things.  Keep them seperate.  You just want to be close enough to be convenient that's all.  Personally I prefere to see hunters camp near a road or in a designated campground.  Nothing will ruin a hunt more than spotting someone elses camp right in the middle of an area I'm hunting. 

elkkill06's picture
Unit 62

Sean,

Depending on where you are looking at you will be anywhere from just over 9,000 ft to 6,500 ft. there are not a lot of places to camp in a little ways that would help you more than just camping along the road.

Weather wise, as said, can be anything from 90 degrees to -10 degrees. Sunny and beautiful (not the best elk or deer hunting) to 2 feet of snow. A lot of roads get very nasty with deep ruts.

Quinton

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Thanks Quinton and WH.  I

Thanks Quinton and WH.  I figure I will stay relatively close to the road, and walk in to hunt.

Or, maybe I will stay at Quinton's house and commute every day..... Wink

lol

elkkill06's picture
More then welcome !!!!!

[/quote]

Or, maybe I will stay at Quinton's house and commute every day..... Wink

lol

[/quote]

Sean,

You are more then welcome !!!! :thumbsup1: Your going to druve yourself crazy getting ready for this hunt. :yes:

Quinton

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
High or low?Remington742210/22/2013 17:36 pm
Idaho - New and some muley questionsemberglo509/07/2011 17:57 pm
Big game hunt camping trip?ndemiter505/17/2011 17:47 pm
Camping World=Anti Hunting????Critter603/19/2012 21:55 pm
Transfer of Elk tagRemington7421008/23/2011 13:19 pm