2 replies [Last post]
jaybe's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Michigan's 2010 Hunting Season Safest on Record

According to the Michigan DNR, 2010 was the safest hunting season on record with 11 people being injured and 3 killed by firearms. They credit hunter safety education and the hunter orange requirement with the lower numbers. The previous low injury/death season was in 2005, with 3 fatalities and 16 injuries.

hunter25's picture
I just went over to the

I just went over to the Colorado site and was surprised at how low our numbers are. The latest data is for 2009 and only shows 4 reportable incidents and no fatalities. It even gives details of each incident. There were also no fatal incidents in 2008. I did not look farther back than that other than the summary which shows an average of only 1.6 fatalities from 2000 to 2004. Our injury rate went way down when hunter safety became required back in the 70's I think.

It's good to see that Michigan's numbers are as low as they are because even in the U.P. the army of orange was the reason my dad would only hunt archery and only grudgingly let me hunt with a rifle also.

Thanks for the information and I hope the only injuries any of us ever sustain is from being poked by the antlers as we are trying to drag that big buck out of the woods.

Topgun 30-06's picture
I hate to say it, but those

I hate to say it, but those deaths are usually ones that remove themselves from the gene pool through stupid things like pulling a loaded gun out of a case with the muzzle in their belly or pointing at their buddy, etc.  I just shake my head when I read some of the stupid things people do or how they mishandle firearms.  Turkey hunting seems to be the worst of all with numerous people still getting shot because the guy thought the person was a turkey.  Most states require you to shoot a gobbler during the Spring season, so if you need to see a bearded bird to be legal, how can you shoot a person for Pete's sake!!!  IMHO those people all should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and never be allowed to have a gun in their hands for the rest of their lives!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like