7 replies [Last post]
SSGJB's picture
MI 2012 Bear Hunt

Me and my dad both have 9 preference points for NR MI bear tag. We are thinking about applying for a kill tag next year (2012). Just curious if there is any recommendations for an area to apply for? It would have to be in the U.P. Thanks in advanced for any replies

Baraga/Gwinn units

As a resident of the central UP, I would reccommend applying for either the Baraga or Gwinn units. Lots of good bears in both units, many good outfitters.

SSGJB's picture
What about Amasa? We own land

What about Amasa? We own land in florence and hunt right across the border into MI for Deer so we know the area pretty good. We won't be using any outfitters so that shouldn't be an issue.  Thanks for the reply

Amasa and Bergland are good

Amasa and Bergland are good too. Being close enough to bait every two to three days will bring the best prospects of getting a bear.  If you can only bait once a week, you would be better off finding a friend or outfitter who can bait daily or every other day.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Interesting information. I

Interesting information. I have family in Florence myself. My dad was born in Niagara and I was born over the river on the Michigan side in Kingsford. Since I have family up there I had thought about going up there to hunt bears but had no idea it could take so long to get a tag. Is that the normal situation for a non resident?

Good luck with your hunt when you get the tag.

SSGJB's picture
Not all the units require

Not all the units require that many preference points but if you wanted to stay with family and hunt as a NR you would be looking at 10 points and even then you are not guaraunteed to get one. This last year only 50% of NR with 10 points got a tag for The Amasa unit, which i'm looking to hunt, which is basically everything north and west of Iron Mountain. I think the unit on the east side of Iron Mountain you can get a tag in 8 or so years as a NR.

Drawing a bear tag as a

Drawing a bear tag as a non-resident is difficult but the greater problem is how you wish to hunt. If you plan to hunt over bait as most bear hunters do, you should allow at least two weeks of baiting to draw a bear in and replenish the bait daily once a bear starts using the bait.  I see many hunters from out of the UP come here and try to take a bear with only a couple of days of baiting or baiting only once a week. Most are unsuccessful!!   Now if you are a dog hunter, that doesn't apply. There are dog hunters that do take clients after bear, with modest success, IF you can keep up! The reason that I mentioned outfitters is that they spend enormous ammounts of time starting and maintaining bait stations.  Is it possible to take a bear with out bait or dogs?  Yes, IF you are very lucky!!   My first bear was taken by trail watching for bears coming to a dump.  My other nine bears were all taken over bait.

SSGJB's picture
Thanks for the info Old

Thanks for the info Old Professor. I think we will go the bait route. Both of us have taken bear both ways. Me and my dad have been baiting bear around the florence area for about 20yrs now just for family and friends and of course when we are lucky enough to draw a tag. We have been very successfull in our baiting. due to the long drive we are only able to bait on the weekends. Once and a while i am able to make a run during the week. I would love it if i could run baits everyday, i do think it would help, but at the same time i am very confident that we will have success with only baiting on the weekends. But i still wouldn't mind finding someone local to bait for me. Gas gets kinda expensive, but the only thing with that is we take great pride in baiting ourselves. Plus we have some tricks of the trade that seem to work very well for us.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Bear in Colorado?Ca_Vermonster604/02/2011 17:03 pm
Manitoba, Canada Black Bear Huntsbga2011003/27/2012 19:37 pm
Alberta, Canada. Black Bear/Wolf 6 Day hunt for 2.s.mark012/10/2012 13:50 pm
Clark Fork Outfitters 2013 huntsLeon Brown107/29/2013 10:11 am
Anyone got a brown bear this fall?chuckscap010/20/2012 09:11 am