9 replies [Last post]
max effective range for lee-enfield 303 mark1 jungle carbean

a buddy of mine is almost finished restoring his fathers ww2 303 lee-enfield jungle carbean and he has asked me to post this question on here which is what is the max effective range of a 180 gr. British 303. if any of you know we would both greatly appreciate it.

That question is dependant greatly on how well he shoots the rifle and how far he feels comfortable shooting at game. Assuming hes not destroying the way it handles by adding a scope, with the appature style sights it was equiped with (depending on how it preformed at the range) 150yards almost anytime and under ideal conditions 200. but thats just me, thats as far as I can shoot with reasonable accuracy when using iron sights. At that range with a good 180gr load it'll take the fight out of most critters on our continent. A .303 british's maximum effective range for deer would probably be 300-400 yards, not that it won't do the job further thats just where it would preform to the best of its potential

Don Fischer's picture

I think a lot depends on what you consider effective. Remember that on the end flap of 22LR ammo, it used to read, "warning, range 1 1/4 mi". I just read the back of one of the plastic boxes and it says 1 1/2 mi. I suspect most any centerfire cartridge will carry farther than a 22LR.

Ask your friend, what is his maximun effective range, you'll have your answer there.

The rear peep sight on a #5 "jungle carbine" goes out to 800 yds so the british must have thought it was effective enough at that range to injure the enemy soldier. I am sure the accurate effective range of such a short rifle will be much less. For hunting I'd be keeping it under 300 yds.

these "max effective range"questions are pretty subjective, for example i shoot a .300 win mag and that cartridge is said to be effective (i.e deadly) at 1275 yards or something like that as far as the ballistics go, i couldnt hit a barn at that far so its not "effective" at that range for me. shoot your guns (alot) and youll find its max effective range

The sights were graduated for Mk VII ball ammo. It used a 174gr FMJ Spitzer bullet fired at a MV of approximately 2500fps.

Quote:
The rear peep sight on a #5 "jungle carbine" goes out to 800 yds so the british must have thought it was effective enough at that range to injure the enemy soldier.

Keep in mind that then, just like now the maximum yardage on those sights was inteded for massed fire at the same general area. When you have 8+ guys with decent shooting abilities pointing at the same target someone will hit it eventualy.

WesternHunter's picture

max effective range for that rifle and cartridge is going to be much farther than the vast majority of shooters can shoot it.

jim muir wrote:
Quote:
The rear peep sight on a #5 "jungle carbine" goes out to 800 yds so the british must have thought it was effective enough at that range to injure the enemy soldier.

Keep in mind that then, just like now the maximum yardage on those sights was inteded for massed fire at the same general area. When you have 8+ guys with decent shooting abilities pointing at the same target someone will hit it eventualy.

I agree 100% but in the hands of a marksman, like westernhunter said the effective range is beyond what the normal shooter can take advantage of. I would not want to be the one to stand at 800 yds and have an enemy marksman taking aim at me.

thanks to all of you, you all have been extremely helpful thanks again Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Enfield 'jungle carbine' (#5) bayonet wantedgroovy mike105/21/2011 19:10 pm
Lee Enfield .303 conversion to 45-70rifle rookie304/29/2008 20:36 pm
Moose hunting with a Lee Enfield .303rifle rookie1810/16/2008 19:29 pm
Enfield Stock UpdateVT Surf-N-Turf212/23/2008 04:49 am
Jungle hunting fire5179308/15/2010 01:44 am