7 replies [Last post]
jim boyd's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Man,,, Oh, Man... 300 Remington Ultra Mag!!!!

Hello Folks,

OK here are the first photos... of the Remington in .300 Remington Ultra Mag.

This thing is so sweet, it is just breathtaking.

The finish has a slightly jaundiced look - that is supposed to be part of the corrosion protection.

Nice, crisp trigger at about 5-6 pounds but can be adjusted down - they call it the X-Mark trigger.

Very "center balanced" feel and I think that will only be accentuated with the addition of the scope and rings.

The jeweled bolt is a work of art and it slides into the action like polished glass.

Remington has always made great, great rifles and this one is just a show stopper.

BGH - I do not know how to say it - you folks are just simply THE BEST!!!!

While I am thanking BGH, I would also like to recognize the other competitors in the December contest... there was a lot to be learned there - lessons in hunting and the outdoors, for sure - but also in humility, grace, sportsmanship, comraderie and of course, good old fashioned competitiveness.

My hat is off to you guys... and I am a better man for "knowing" and interacting with each of you.

Oh yeah... did I mention that BigGameHunt ROCKS????

Humbled in SC....

Jim

PreviewAttachmentSize
100_2209.JPG
100_2209.JPG1.16 MB
100_2219.JPG
100_2219.JPG1.1 MB
100_2238.JPG
100_2238.JPG1.09 MB
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Hey Jim, that's a great gun,

Hey Jim, that's a great gun, and well earned!!!

Congrats!  And, if what you said in the other thread is true, let me know if it goes on the "chopping block", and how much it gets chopped.... Wink

That's a beauty!

hunter25's picture
Congratulations on a great

Congratulations on a great rifle. I was interested in the Ultra mag myself but without being able to try one I was afraid the recoil would be a little much and I would start flinching.

I went with a 7mag instead in the RMEF 700XCR.

Mine was just before the X-mark trigger and sadly I had to spend a couple hundred to replace it as it was gritty, heavy and a lot of creep. I didn't try it before I bought it because I just expected it to be good. I replaced the trigger with an adjustable Jewell trigger from Midway and all is good now.

jaybe's picture
Sweet!

That's a reallt sweet-looking rifle, Jim. Congrats on winning it. Your efforts during December were excellent and I enjoyed all of your stories and posts.

I'm like you and many others - I don't care for the recoil of the magnums - even the "shorties". So far I have found that shot placement and bullet design will more than make up for the couple hundred fps that is gained with a mag.

It's a great prize, though - and we owe a lot to BGH and Vanguard for making it possible.

Thanks again to these fine folks.

groovy mike's picture
Wow

I mean really what more is there to say after - Wow! Applause

numbnutz's picture
That is one heck of a rifle.

That is one heck of a rifle. Congrats to you and your efforts during the contest, Your stories and advice have been great. Thanks again to BGH!! for the great place for people to come together.

hunter25's picture
How soon till we get a range

How soon till we get a range report?

I would like to know how it shoots and how you feel the recoil compares to other calibers.

GooseHunter Jr's picture
That is a truly great gun. 

That is a truly great gun.  While I am not a fan of the short mags or the untra mags...they are definely a great shooting round with a ton of knock down power.....feel bad for naything on the receiving end of one.  Congrats on a great prize.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Remington Short Actionsbitmasher306/26/2005 12:28 pm
300 Remington Ultra Magnumwonksy1312/07/2008 23:29 pm
.338 Remington Ultra Mag - Shoulder Breaker?Rick2307/20/2005 06:15 am
WTS - Remington Model 700 Sendora SF 300 Ultra Magjdowdle002/05/2007 11:52 am
300 Winchester Ultra Magjim boyd212/12/2010 23:28 pm