13 replies [Last post]
M70 338 Win Mag

Geez. I'm a little embarrased to post this with all the information out there already on this subject.

ater spending $70 on a box of 20 last night I've been doing some reading on reloading. I always intended on eventually reloading, but now I've convinced myself that it's going to happen sooner than later.

I haven't learned much yet, but hears what I do know. I think.

1.) It's going to take a little while before the investment pays off after buying all the equiptment and materials needed.
2.) I may have to buy a few different kinds of bullets, and powders before I find the one that works best with my particular rifle. Because for some reason each rifle responds differently to different bullets and powders. I don't understand that one at all yet. It's even the case with factory loads.
3.) I'm probally still a year out from reloading so I have ample time to study more on the science of reloading. At least it seems like a science!

Does anyone else reload with this set up (M70 338)?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
For the first couple of boxes

For the first couple of boxes of ammo I think that I would of started out with the $40.00 a box ammo instead of a box with premium bullets for $70.00 and use them for the initial sighting in. Then switch over the the more expensive ones to see what they will do.

I don't reload for the .338 Winchester but do for the .340 Weatherby and have found that it loves the 225 grain bullets at around 3000 fps which is a little faster than you'll be able to get the Winchester round.

I will suggest for you to go pick up a couple reloading manuals for the bullets that you plan on using or find one that is specific for the .338 if that is all you plan on reloading and go from there.

yeah, I'm gonna start out

yeah, I'm gonna start out with the Nosler reloading book.
Probally gonna get it after work today.

Critter's picture
Nosler has a good manual for

Nosler has a good manual for their bullets. Another one that I would recommend is Loadbooks and pick one up for the .338. It will list different manufactures bullets along with multipul powders and for a plain loading manual they are worth the little money that they cost.

http://www.loadbooks.com/Store.html

thanks Critter.

thanks Critter.

Hey Critter.  Do they make

Hey Critter. 

Do they make round nose bullets for the 340?  Would you use them if they did? 

Critter's picture
I don't know of anyone that

I don't know of anyone that does and wouldn't load them if they did.

RedTeam98's picture
338 Win

In my pre 64 Model 70 338 Win

Reloader 19 at 75.1

225gr Accubond

Fed 215GM primer

WW brass

Hornady 250gr Round Nose accurate but very bad BC for long range shooting 

Don Fischer's picture
Just dawned on me. $70 for a

Just dawned on me. $70 for a box of 338 Win Mag ammo? What did you buy? Might be a stupid question I guess as I haven't bought factory ammo in a long long time.

Critter's picture
Premium Ammo

Don Fischer wrote:

Just dawned on me. $70 for a box of 338 Win Mag ammo? What did you buy? Might be a stupid question I guess as I haven't bought factory ammo in a long long time.

Any of what the manufactures consider "Premium Ammo" will set you back that much. These are round with the Nosler Partition, Accurbond, Barnes bullets, Swift A Frames, and other higher end ones.

Don Fischer's picture
Wow

Critter wrote:
Don Fischer wrote:

Any of what the manufactures consider "Premium Ammo" will set you back that much. These are round with the Nosler Partition, Accurbond, Barnes bullets, Swift A Frames, and other higher end ones.

Just fooling with that a bit, cup and core bullet's are about $25 per 100. premium I think run about $50 per 50? That's a buck a bullet vrs about .25 cents per bullet. .75 cents different in bullets for 20 rounds make the cost of premium stuff about $15 more per box. That would suggest that 338 mag ammo with cup and core bullet's runs $55 a box? Wow!!!!!!! Oh yea, those prices would be for a guy that goes down and buy's a box, not a truck load!