7 replies [Last post]
Dondo90's picture
Looking to buy a 1911...Need help....any input

Hey guys,

I know this isnt a hunting questions per se, but you guys are all pretty smart about firearms in general so I thought I would take advantage of it and see what you all think. Think

I am in the market to purchase a 1911 and I have been looking and without surprise I have narrowed it down to the big three in my eyes: Colt, Springfield, and Kimber. I am in the price range of about 700-1,000 and want the best bang for my buck. If a thousand dollar gun is worth it I will do it, but if I can get the same quality out of a gun that is 800 dollars I would rather do that. I guess my question is, do you guys own any of these particular 1911's and if you do, what is your experience with them and do have any suggestions. I know I am being a little vague but anything regarding 1911's in general would help me choose, and if you have specific suggestions as far as a specific gun I would really appreciate it.

Ive had great luck with getting responses from you guys in the past, so thank you in advance. Thumbs up

of those three makers right now springfield is making the best 1911. i would suggest the TRP i paid just under 1300 but if you shop around you may be able to find it cheaper, the next model down from the TRP is the loaded and you can get that one with a few different options for around or under 1000 bucks. kimber has some nice 1911's but the quality has fallen off in the last few years, colts are a great gun but for one that compares to the TRP or loaded springer your going to pay for the name. out of all my hand guns the TRP is far and away my fav.

Dondo,
I own and shoot currently four 1911's for competition and defense. Two are Colts. To be honest I would not buy a Colt today if performance were the only issue. Due to quality control and other problems Colt is just not what it used to be. Unfortunately they still charge like they were. If I were to do it all over today I would go with one of the Smith & Wesson 1911 series or Kimber. You're never going to get a thousand dollar gun to shoot like a three thousand dollar gun, but these two companies come as close as possible to that goal. Both put out a really outstanding product for the money. I have shot both companies guns and like them a alot. Springfield also makes a great prodect and I have shot them also but their really good guns run over your thousand dollar limit. The Colts are even more expensive and you would have to shell out another thousand easy into it to get it up to the level of the Kimber or Smith. If you really want to do it right, save your money, be a little patient and when you have a couple thou, buy a nice Wilson combat or Ed Brown.

i have to second the wilson and ed brown suggestion, but for the money you have id still take a springer over a equally priced kimber. i have been finding it hard not to buy that kimber desert warrior thou, man thats a nice lookin weapon

ADKBEAR's picture

Lot of good 1911's out there. I have springfield that I bought stock (military trigger, sight etc.) It was less than $500 (a few years ago) bare bones. As I got some money to spare (spare money ha took it out of the beer fund) had or did some of my own coustom work. Low mount adjustable sights, trigger/hammer job, polished the feed ramp etc. I am thinking that in all I have about $800 into it not including my time.
A buddy has a kimber he bought last year. Yeahe it is a real nice looking camo job but my gun shoots as well if not better than his.

I was looking into 1911's not long ago but then chose to go with the XDM but don't over look the taurus pt1911, you get a whole lot of gun for the price.....every shooting match I've been to and every reputable gun store I've been to has said the same thing. Match grade barrel, nice trigger, accurate and reliable. all for 6-8 hundred bucks depending on you taste.

I have a PT1911 and a couple Kimbers , if you want the BEST IMHO everyone is following Kimber. They are incredibly tight and take a longer break in period. My Taurus pt1911 isnt far behind in quality and option, it runs like a broken in Kimber. Taurus right now has a 75$ rebate going on you have to spend alot of extra money to get the add ons that Kimber and Taurus come stock with.

I carry a Kimber Pro carry II, 45 acp daily, and I find it to be everything I want in a personal defense concealed carry pistol. I have owned just about every off the shelf 1911 Colt, and clones, and the Kimber has my respect! Yes

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
looking for a 1911 style pistolthom1175301/27/2008 09:37 am
1911 questionELK-AHOLIC312/03/2007 11:50 am
ChoicesELK-AHOLIC710/25/2009 12:36 pm
High Standard 1911 .45 compacthunter25105/27/2011 09:01 am
In the market for a new 45ACP. What to get?rckjeep1405/24/2006 01:42 am