13 replies [Last post]
Loading for a 270

Not sure if this the right topic name for the info I am looking for. I picked up a Sako 270 used this spring for my son. The gun looked like new and was sold to me under the idea that is was almost never used. Paid a good buck for it as well. Now I took it out and ran some rounds through it with very dissapointing results. Finally managed to get the scope tuned in so I could start to get a group. I then fired some of my reloads through it. I used 130gr nosslers BT. ( I like the yellow tip too.) 54.4 gr of 4350. Which if i remember is about 2900 ft/sec according to my book. Now I will get to my question. What is the procedure you use to find a combination that works with a certain rifle. I am feeling like this gun just is bad. I grouped with 30-06 about 1- 1.5 in at a 100yds. With this 270 maybe 2.5-3 in. This was same conditions same day. Yesterday. Do I try slowing the bullet dramatically then build it up? Is there a way to have someone tell if the gun is shot out? It makes me sick to think I got ripped off. Actually if that is the case then I guess I let my son get ripped off. I mean the rifle shoots well enough to hit a deer and kill it, but i'm feeling real down about it and looking any ideas about how to go about testing. Sorry for the long drawn out post. Hopefully someone will find the questions in here to answer.

Loading for a 270

The first thing I would do is try a few 150 gr factory loads and see what grouping you get. If better, switch from 130 gr to 150 gr ballistic tips.
With either the 130 or 150 bullets, I'd seat them .62 thousandths from lands.
Your powder charge seems to be good. The 270 likes the hotter loads and the 150 gr bullets seem to be the best shooters.
What's the story on the scope ??????

Loading for a 270

The scope is a 3-9 Leupold VX I, I purchased it used as well but is very clear and like new conditon. More shooting is certainly in the works. 150s sound like something I can try. I did go through a box of factory 150gr rnd nose, but basically used them up getting the rifle on paper. Grouping seemed about the same as the reloads. It was a bit windy but it was the same conditions as with the 30-06. I shoot alot of 165 gr bt with 06.

Loading for a 270

I been thinking about this one and I am doubtful the barrel is worn out.
How does this sound:
We know the 06 is shooting well, so if you change scopes around you can eliminate or determine the scope as being the cause, especially with a used scope. And at the same time, if the 270 shoots well with the scope off the 06, you can eliminate problems with the 270, barrel included.
That's what I'd do at this juncture.

WesternHunter's picture
Loading for a 270

Try seating the bullets out closer to the lands, but don't allow them to touch the lands. See if that improves your accuracy. Another thing to do is to strap the rifle into a rest and use a phneumatic actuated trigger puller. Every time I thought that a certain rifle or a certain reload were not accurate, I do this to take the human element of error out of it, to see how inherently accurate the ammo or rifle is. You'd be suprised using this method how accurate a certain rifle or reload can be. In fact I find using this method that virtually most factory rifles out there are far more capable of greater accuracy than most people think. Then you know that accuracy is suffering because of the shooter, not the equipment. Of course it does help to do this on a morning where there is no wind or calm wind, and shooting very consistant ammunition.

Loading for a 270

Give the barrel a good scrubbing. Load a few rounds with a powder that burns slower than 4350 and keep them 2 grains short of maximum. Shoot one round. Then try, for grouping, with the rounds that are loaded with the slower powder. If the groups improve. Increase the charge and try again and so on.
Experiment with the slower powders. H4831, IMR 4831, RL19, RL22 to name a few of the more popular.
I think I recall that Hammer1 favors the 270 win and loads 4831. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Also check the muzzle to see that it hasn't been banged up. If it looks questionable. Have it recrowned, for a minimal charge.

Loading for a 270

Right you are. i use 57.8 gr of H4831 @ 150 gr Nosler BT

Loading for a 270

How is the trigger?

Loading for a 270

Well I said I would update. Changing powder made way more difference then I would have believed. I still was firing the 130gr bullets but was totally shocked after firing the first 3. the first 2 were overlapping and the 3rd about a hole away. So I let it cool and tried a number of tests and it really did help the rifle to use the slower powder. I used the same amount of powder in each load to send the bullet at 3000fps as to the book. Now that I know it can group we can confidently try to fine tune some rounds. Oh and in answer to the question about the trigger, I have no idea what weight it is but its one of the nicest pulls I have ever had. Only problem is its not my rifle.

Loading for a 270

It's good to hear that the slower powder worked for you.
That is some very good grouping. You have a fine rifle there.
From the sound of the results you ended up with. I'm going to guess that you used H4831. Reloder 19 and 22 will also give some amazing results and the recoil will seem a bit gentler on the bones with the RL 22.
Part of the reason the slower powders work so well is they fill the cases so you get a more consistant and even burn.
I Ioad a 270 wsm with H1000 and RL 25 for the 140gr and Win WMR for the 130gr. and the case are pretty much full. I usually end up with a 1/2" to 3/4" hole in the paper after three shots.
Good job and happy shooting.

Loading for a 270

I curious as to what powder and charge you ended up with too. That's fantastic grouping by anyones standards Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Loading for the 45-70 gov'tfuzzybear1010/31/2005 04:00 am
Muzzle Loading Season during Christmas HolidaysHunterswife77112/06/2009 17:42 pm
338 win mag loading dynamicsbenjammin111/02/2004 15:58 pm
shotshellscjohnson3006707/17/2009 11:33 am
helpful linkssagebrush005/01/2004 19:13 pm