21 replies [Last post]
light .243 load

Hi fellas,

I'm looking for a light .243 load for my son. He's 10 years old and is pretty lightly built. He's shot his gun with the .243 barrel on it once, 100 grain Remington core-lokt factory round. For a .243 it kicks pretty good. He didn't care for it much. The gun is a Rossi single shot youth gun. Pretty light. Barrel is short, 22 inches. I bought some 60g Sierra bullets and some IMR 4350 powder. I chose the powder because I can also use it in my .280, .308, and .338 Win Mag. Does anyone have a good, light load for this bullet in .243? I have a Speer manual but they don't list a 60g bullet. Any help would be appreciated.

light .243 load

If he is going to be hunting deer with it I surely would not suggest a 60gr bullet. Try lightning the powder load on a 100 grainer and let him shoot. Work the load up a grain at a time and you will see him not even notice the increase in recoil. Those light "youth" guns sometimes do have a wollup to them. Just doesnt make sense to me to make a gun thats for a small person, and make the damn thing so light that it will make even a .243 kick like a mule. You could try 2 other things as well.. A sims kick pad and maybe a little weight in the stock. Make it about half pound heavier and it would really reduce the felt recoil.

60g

No, he wouldn't use the 60g for hunting. Just for practice. I have already decided he won't be shooting at animals this year. I took him to the range Sunday and I put the .22 barrel in the Rossi. I mounted a 1.5X scope on it to help him with sighting. He has a hard time closing one eye with open sights. Even from a bench with a scope at 25 yds he can't shoot a decent group so he's got a long way to go before he shoots at a deer. I want to work on his marksmanship with the .22 and at least get him accustomed to shooting a light .243 load. It might not happen until this spring or summer but I'd like to have the load worked up and tested before I turn him loose with a new handload.

60g

FWIW, I looked on Hodgedon.com and they list a .243 load with an 85g bullet using IMR 4350, but nothing lighter. I assume that's because 4350 might be too slow a powder for lighter bullets? Can anyone shed some light on this. They list the 60g Sierra bullet but no load with 4350.

Don Fischer's picture
light .243 load

I loaded up some light 100gr loads for my grandson to shoot but can't remember the load. I think I just used a starting load of something. I did fire them to be sure they wouldn't hurt him and they were really mild. Not real accurate tho. Didn't matter, I'd be happy if he would just shoot. He don't care for it.

light .243 load

Started all mine shooting at 5....It took well with my oldest daughter the most (figures since she is the meanest outta 3 boys and 2 girls) but of course my 3 year old is showing the same ways as her sister (oh lord help me Brick Wall,) ) the 2 younger boys love to hunt but arent really into any sort of competitive shooting. My oldest boy just couldnt pull the trigger on a deer. He loves animals to much to pull the trigger. Boy will wolf down a Big Mac in a flat second though GO FIGGER!!! LoL But like I said before, they all started out with a .243 for a deer rifle. But I think I am gonna let Alexandria (my lil one) start out with a 7mm.08 . I have a pro hunter but I think I will look into having TC customize a junior model with the same recoil suppression tech they have in the pro hunter ( basicly a sized down model of mine) then she will have a weapon she can grow into. One thing about the 7mm.08 is the various loads and bullet selections it has. For practice you can really load it down and then work up the load gradually letting her get used to shooting and form practice without having to worry about recoil. Granted the .22 is a great starter practice rifle in its own way. But since it has NO recoil it would kind of give her false confidence in form and follow-through in my own opinion. May as well start her on a gun that does have ,while yes limited but enough to let her know its there, recoil

leftie

My son is right handed but shoots left due to vision problems. I've looked high and low for a left-handed, bolt action youth rifle but no one makes one. Remington has a sweet Model 7 and Ruger makes an even smaller 77 CR, both available in 7MM-08. Neither is made in a LH version. I could probably mave one made in the Remington custom shop but I already told my son about rule #1......a gun I buy for you will never cost more than the most expensive gun I would buy for myself. neener! That would be $605 for my Mod 70 SS Classic. I'm pretty sure anything out of the custom shop will be well over that. So he's stuck with his Rossi single shot for a while until he can handle a full size LH rifle. Either that or shoot RH bolt guns....or learn to shoot right handed. Think

I may pick a different powder and pick up a pound. Something a little faster with a published load for the 60g bullet that would also work in my other guns with lighter bullets.

light .243 load

NH... My speer book has a load for 70 grain bullets with IMR 4350 powder
Low 43gr to High 47.0C (compressed) speeds rated from 3067 to 3401

Thats the Lightest bullet it has listed in this book.

4350 may be a little too slow for a 60g bullet. I was looking at IMR 4895 as an alternative powder. It's a little faster and has loads listed for down to 55g bullets in .243. I'm a little cautious about loading stuff that's not on the load charts. Especially true when I'm planning on sticking my son behind it. It looks like 4895 will be good for the other calibers also. I'm not very daring when it comes to reloading.

light .243 load

As well you shouldnt be. I wouldnt be either. Hell I aint even daring with just myself shooting!!!

hmmmmm

Hmmmm.......There are old handloaders and bold handloader but there are no old, bold handloaders. ....stolen from an old saying about pilots..... Evil!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Dumb blond in Minnesotahalvtaz306/20/2007 23:58 pm
Good combination deer/elk load for 30-06opt_prime1709/21/2012 10:46 am
Favorite 45-70 load?groovy mike901/25/2011 06:55 am
Hot loads! For slug shooters!trappermike107/30/2007 12:51 pm
fly in huntprarie mountain man205/19/2009 17:35 pm