14 replies [Last post]
Levergun Safari 2007

Between June 3rd and June 10th this year 10 lever action enthusiasts joined us on safari in South Africa's Limpopo Province. We had an excellent time and several great trophies were taken including a 39" Eland, 56" Kudu, 19" Blesbok and several others.

I thought I'd share some of the pictures with members of this forum...

SCI Gold Medal Eland (Al from California)

Blesbok

56" Kudu

Blue Wildebeest taken by Tom from Colorado

Impala

This Caracal was shot in broad daylight

Impala taken by Regan from Missouri

Mark from England brought his .450NE double - built by himself especially for this safari to kill this Blue Wildebeest

Josh from West Virginia's Blue Wildebeest

JJ's (also from West Virginia) Impala

Jim's Zebra

Regan's Wildebeest

16 year old Devin (Colorado) killed his first African animal - a Zebra Stallion on his first hunting day

Later Devin successfully hunted this Impala Ram

A DVD containing some great hunting sequences and stalks was made of the hunt which we would like to share with members of this forum. So we are offering free copies of the DVD to the first 2 members of this forum who send me a PM with their address details.

Good Hunting!

Chris Troskie

Levergun Safari 2007

very nice!!!! what calibers were you using and what bullets? i can't wait to get to namibia. Thumbs up

Levergun Safari 2007
kevin davis wrote:
very nice!!!! what calibers were you using and what bullets? i can't wait to get to namibia. Thumbs up

Amongst some of the calibers used were a .308 Marlin (on the Eland, Blesbok and an Impala), .348 Winchester (Zebra), .375 Ruger, .338, (Kudu, Wildebeest, Giraffe), .270 (Zebra, Impala, Wildebeest), .300 Win Mag (Caracal, Wildebeest, Steenbok). .45-70 -(Warthog, Impala, Wildebeest). Unfortunately I cannot recall the bullet weights and brands of all the ammo used. And I know I am missing at least two lever action calibers.

Levergun Safari 2007

i cannot imagine the logistics necessary for 10 hunters at once. thanks for the reply. i enjoyed the pictures a second time around.

Levergun Safari 2007
kevin davis wrote:
i cannot imagine the logistics necessary for 10 hunters at once. thanks for the reply. i enjoyed the pictures a second time around.

Thank you sir, I have to admit that the logistical part of the hunt was a challenge but one that we managed to overcome with relative ease. The most challenging part logistics-wise was getting everyone from the airport to the hunting camp as the 13 clients arrived on three different flights (first one at 06:30 and the last one at 16:30).

Once there, my fiance (partner) the PH's and other camp staff made sure that everything ran smoothly.

Don Fischer's picture
Levergun Safari 2007

Don't know weather to yell at you for not checking in more or tell you nice pictures first. I'll risk it, nice picture's! There's something about Africa that must tear on everyone, I know it does on me. I usually always check out what's on the Africa site's but somehow this escaped me for a few day's. Of course I was gone a couple of them.

Do you have Bongo where your at? I've read a bit about them in the past and they really are mysterious animals. I understand they are fairly rare and inhabit some really heavy forest's.

Welcome back stranger! Stop in again,,,,,,,soon!

Levergun Safari 2007
Don Fischer wrote:
Don't know weather to yell at you for not checking in more or tell you nice pictures first. I'll risk it, nice picture's! There's something about Africa that must tear on everyone, I know it does on me. I usually always check out what's on the Africa site's but somehow this escaped me for a few day's. Of course I was gone a couple of them.

Do you have Bongo where your at? I've read a bit about them in the past and they really are mysterious animals. I understand they are fairly rare and inhabit some really heavy forest's.

Welcome back stranger! Stop in again,,,,,,,soon!

Hi Don, yeah I've been away for a while - partly because I've been busy hunting and partly because I recently moved my operation to ranch e bought in Limpopo where my internet connection hasn't beenvery dependable. With that problem solved (hopefully) I'll try to contribute to this forum more regulary.

We have no Bongo here in the Southern parts of Africa. The Western Bongo only occurs naturally up in West Africa (Camaroon, CAR, Gabon, DRC, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone Sudan and Togo and the Eastern variety occurs in Kenia. They are indeed rare and very sought after as trophies.

Regards,

Chris

Levergun Safari 2007

Someone used a .348 win... Wow, what I would give for one of those old boys. I'm a big lever action guy myself with a 35 remington, 30/30, 2 45/70's, 358 win, and a .444 marlin.

Levergun Safari 2007
maddenwh wrote:
Someone used a .348 win... Wow, what I would give for one of those old boys. I'm a big lever action guy myself with a 35 remington, 30/30, 2 45/70's, 358 win, and a .444 marlin.

Yeah, that .348 has quite a bit of history behind it and it still works very well. My favourite lever action calibre is the .45-70. Thumbs up

Levergun Safari 2007

Congrats on all your success!!

Levergun Safari 2007

EXCELLENT!!!

I wanted to take my 45-70 guide gun with me, my PH suggested not to due to the area we where to be hunting being much to open, not to much bush.

BUT NEXT TIME!!! Yes

Great trophies! Well done!!

That Eland bull is nice. what did it score for SCI. The one I shot was a 87 3/4, yours had to score around 100 or so I would think.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
South African SafariOKElkHunter003/04/2007 21:07 pm
Northern Ohio Safari Club Dinner & FundraiserSCIBill001/22/2007 17:26 pm
Winchester .405 1895 LevergunzeNMan407/15/2005 01:56 am
Safari Arms Hawken?BruceW410/15/2009 05:56 am
WTB 'Safari Rifles' by Craig Boddingtongroovy mike003/20/2011 17:53 pm