9 replies [Last post]
Leupold Rifleman vs. Bushnell 3200 Elite

I am looking at a new scope for my Weatherby Vanguard. I have tentatively narrowed it down to a Leupold Rifleman or a Bushnell 3200 Elite. I would like to get some feedback comparing the two. (also has anybody used the 3200 firefly compared to the standard reticle)

In this case you get what you pay for. My guess is that the Leupold is a lot more expensive. That's because it's a much better scope.

Bushnell 3200 vs. Leupold

Actually they are priced identically

The Bushnell 3200 is a marginally better scope than the Leupold Rifleman. Granted, you are looking at two different levels of each manufacturers line-up so the price point may be the same but the features aren't.
You might want to look at each website and print off the specs so you can compare them side by side. Check them off each sheet if matching and then see what the differences really are between coatings, light transmission, clarity and so on. I think you might find that once you factor in the warranty, the Bushnell 3200 stacks up more closely with the Leupold VX-1 or VX-2 or even a slightly older Vari-X II from the last couple of years. Then compare how the prices match. I would bet that the Leupold runs a little bit more.

For the money, if you can't see what you want to shoot, it doesn't matter that you got such a great deal on your low priced scope. Buy good optics. Shop a lot before you buy so you know what you are getting and then buy what you want for the price you want. Check midsouthshooterssupply.com or midwayusa.com or cabelas or your local big box sporting goods place for prices and even your local little guys. With Leupold, Burris and the higher end Nikons don't be afraid to buy used because they all have incredible warranties and do good warranty work. Bushnell too for their higher end scopes. If you do find a good used scope, make sure you know what the going price for a good used scope is. Check eBay as they are a good source for pricing information even though you found one locally.

I hope this helps. It has paid dividends for me over the years in good scopes for reasonable prices.

Your going to get better clarity if all of the lenses are coated and a stronger construction if the tube is one piece. Warranties are fine but, don't help one bit, in the field.
I believe the Rifleman is the low end leupold and the Bushnell 3200 is one of the patents that Bushnell bought from another high end maufacturer that does not produce hunting optics anymore.
I looked at the 3200. Very nice scope.

Thanks for all the help and the great input; all the info added to the rain guard coating on the Bushnell has me leaning that direction

I have the Bushnell 3200

I have the Bushnell 3200 elite on my ruger m77 mk2 in 300 mag.  it has the firefly.  i never use it because you have to charge it first and thats kind of a pain in the ass(but nice for hunting black bear in low light)  its a decent scope but it seems to have developed a problem keeping a zero after 7 yrs.  I have been looking at upgrading to a nikon or leupold this summer.  What caliber is your vangaurd?

WesternHunter's picture
Rifleman

I topped my Winchester M70 with a 2-7X33 Rifleman scope about 7 years ago when they were first introduced.  I usually prefere fixed powered Leupolds, but I really like this Rifleman scope.  It just never seems to lose it's zero. I keep it's magnification set at 5X and have never moved it.  Actually the Rifleman is just the older Vari-X II relabled with a smoother curved outter piece of the objective lense area.  But all I have to compare my Rifleman to are the other Leupolds I have on my other rifles.  In my use and experience it is an excellent scope for biggame hunting an all around target shooting.

Topgun 30-06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I doubt that you get a

I doubt that you get a response from the OP, as he made that post 6 1/2 years ago and only has 5 posts in that entire time frame!!!

WesternHunter's picture
yeah

Topgun 30-06 wrote:

I doubt that you get a response from the OP, as he made that post 6 1/2 years ago and only has 5 posts in that entire time frame!!!

Yeah thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed.  He must have asked the question around the same time I bought the Rifleman I have. lol

Related Forum Threads You Might Like