55 replies [Last post]
Centennial's picture
Well, I haven’t antelope

Well, I haven’t antelope hunted in more than 25 years.  The last buck is all but a blur in my memory so it was nice to finally get a chance to hunt them again.  Although the season was super short (quartered and in game bags by 0900) I had fun looking at them the day before.  The antelope okay and I got to christen a "new to me" rifle to boot.

Not sure it was worth the wait to get to unit 3/301; very crowded and okay antelope but not great.  I don’t think I am going to wait another 25 years to go again.  Where, I have no idea. 

PreviewAttachmentSize
P1040553.JPG
P1040553.JPG3.87 MB
Scruffy D Wolf's picture
that's not a bad looking goat

Where we hunt, that would have been a wall hanger.  I had to pass up two about that size opening morning, one within 120 yards.  We had doe tags and use them for management animals for the rancher who's land we hunt on.  My g/f, sdwolfden, posted the doe she took on tuesday of our season.  She laid it out at 6:40 am at about 190 yards.  Actually, I hit the same animal at the same time, but only took it's front leg out at 270 yards, but her shot dropped it in it's track.  It made for a short day of hunting.  We still have 9 days in January to fill our other 3 tags.

Noticed the digital camo.  We also use it in the rocky areas where we hunt.  It makes us disappear into the background.  We have found it to be the best camo for our area.  

CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
So many great speed goats. 

So many great speed goats.  Bums me out that I can't contribute to this thread this year.  Maybe next year.

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Yeah I have one more tag to

Yeah I have one more tag to fill this year in December, so hopefully I can add some more pics.

walkin's picture
notice the cut over my eye

What a fun hunt BLM land 3 weeks into season.800 yrds couldn't get close

PreviewAttachmentSize
speedgoat.jpg
speedgoat.jpg1.25 MB
GooseHunter Jr's picture
That is a good looking

That is a good looking buck...and what an inpressive shot!

ecubackpacker's picture
Walkin, that's an impressive

Walkin, that's an impressive goat and shot. It sounds like you had fantastic trip out west this year.
Now on that shot, that's a heck of a shot. Not being able to close the distance is exactly why I think hunters should prepare themselves for longer shots. Not necessarily 800 yard shots but longer shots than they're used too. That way they don't spend time and money only to go home empty handed. I don't recommend taking that kind of shot on a regular basis but it was helpful you had the confidence to pull it off. Otherwise, you might have gone home without your goat.
My limit is 500 yards. However, my average shot would be around 100-200 yards like most hunters from the east. I don't take many hunting shots at that distance but I do practice them. And under the right conditions, I feel confident to take that shot.
Congrats again on nice goat.

buffybr's picture
Ok, here's mine.  Opening

Ok, here's mine.  Opening morning in SE Montana.  Another DIY hunt on public land (Block Mgt) with 3 guys I used to work with. Two of the other guys also shot bucks.  The third guy likes to hike more than he likes to shoot.

I spotted this one about a mile away, stalked to about 80 yds, and dropped him with a 115 gr Balistic Tip from my .257 Ackley.  He's a shade over 12", just right for the freezer.  I've got too many of them on the wall now, so length of horns don't matter.

This is the second year that my 3 yr old Golden has gone with me.  She isn't real excited about posing next to dead critters. 

ecubackpacker's picture
That's a good pic, buffybr.

That's a good pic, buffybr. You can tell your dog isn't too enthused about being asked to "pose" for the pic. Lol.
On the other hand, my yellow lab wouldn't be able to keep still if it were her. She loves tracking and retrieving game. As I'm dragging deer out, she 'll be licking and jumping on the deer. It becomes a pain sometimes when I'm trying to get the deer out of the woods because she adds another 100 lbs I have to drag. It's all good though.

2506deerslayer's picture
I shot this goat oct. 10th

I shot this goat oct. 10th 2010, got him officially scored at 82 4/8", longest horn is 16 6/8", was taken in Nebraska.

PreviewAttachmentSize
ant1.jpg
ant1.jpg457.13 KB
IMG00025-20101010-1802.jpg
IMG00025-20101010-1802.jpg469.46 KB

Related Forum Threads You Might Like