2 replies [Last post]
Leica Rangemaster 1200 CRF Laser Rangefinder Review

August 2008 Product Review

Leica Rangemaster 1200 CRF Laser Rangefinder Review

Over the course of the last few months we have covered a variety of rangefinders. For the this review we decided to take a look at Leica's laser rangefinder offerings. Leica's current rangefinders have been on the market for about two years, but their compact rangefinder (CRF) offerings are still relevant and current. The Rangemaster CRF is manufactured in two variations; the 900 and the 1200. The 900 ranges to approximately 900 yards, while the 1200 ranges to roughly 1200 yards. For this review, we will take a closer look at the 1200 Rangemaster. Read more...

Please use this area to post comments or questions about this review.

Leica Rangemaster 1200

I've owned my Leica RM 1200 for about three seasons. I purchased my on sale from Cabelas and saved about $100 from the average retail price. My first experience was using it on an antelope hunt in SD. Given the generally longer distances and potnetial shots I wanted the 1200 vs 900. I was drawn to the Leica for several reasons:
- Optics quality of Leica which are legendary
- Compact design
- Simplicity, I only wanted range to target no inclines, or other seemingly complicated algoritms, etc.
- Ruggedized design and exterior
So the first year the Leica RM 1200 worked as expected and I successfully used it to score a nice buck at about 300 yds. In preparation for the same trip the next year and when I took the rangefinder out of my safe and checked its functions I found it would not acquire any target and provide a range. To make a long story short I finally navigated the complex world of customer service at Leica and they fixed (or replaced) the unit at no charge. I received it the day before I left for my hunting trip! Once again it worked just fine and another antelope found its way into my freezer.
Which brings us up to this past season where I had the good fortune of drawing antelope and mule deer tags and ofcourse I used the Leica on both hunts. In the moment of truth I used it to range a beautiful 15 pt non-typical mule deer on my last day and ranged him at 297 yds. so I placed the first mark below the cross hairs on my Leupold B&C scope on his brisket and dropped him exactly where he stood.
In general I consider it an essential peice of equipment and its always on me or the backpack when hunting or scouting in the truck. As stated earlier its simple design and compact size make it a pleasure to wear however this can sometimes make you forget you have it.

Leica

the main reason I spent the extra cash was that there was such a difference in the ability to see things through the Leica in the morning and evening (low light). Bushnel Leopold Nikon and all the others use very poor glass compared to Leica.