3 replies [Last post]
Lee Enfield .303 conversion to 45-70

Quick inquiery to the experts.
I just puchaced 2 .303 Lee Enfields ...a No.4 Mark1 , and a P14 (both for $100)
I have heard and read, that both can easily be converted by just changing the barrel and the magazine to a .45-70 gov't. Has anyone done this?
I am looking to use the P14 in the tree stand as it is almost 2lbs heavier and the No.4 in the bush. (The No.4 is missing the butt stock so I have to redo the stock on it anyways.)
There is only one gunsmith near me and he charges outragious prices so I am looking to do it myself. Rough cost for a barrel is $180 on-line.

I haven't done it but I'd like to know how it works out for you.

If I'm not mistaken the barrel will have to be finish chambered after installation on the receiver and the extractor cuts will also need to be made. You'll also need a barrel wrench, action vise and other assorted gunsmithing tools. Also, unless you get a stainless barrel it will need to be either blued, painted or epoxy coated to keep it from rusting.

By the time you had it ready to hunt with you would have as much, if not more, than a .45-70 lever action like a Marlin or a single shot like a Thompson/Center.

If the Enfields are in decent and mostly complete condition you will be better off selling them to a collector and buying a modern rifle.

If you want to keep them, what's wrong with using the .303?

I thought it would be a "fun" project. The rifles are in good but not great condition. Both stocks are not in collectable condition. Just figured working on the rifle could pass the time. I've been on-line looking at the modification and it realy doesnt look that difficult. Working in a machine shop has its advantages.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like