5 replies [Last post]
Late Archery in Winston Creek 520

I am planning on hunting in Winston this November late archery. I used to hunt here about 15 years ago around the 1900 road system near Kidd Valley and along the Toutle. We used to do real good for deer, but elk were few and far between.
When they changed the regs and our east-side elk tags were no longer any good during late season we started running into elk everywhere!
I now hunt west-side for elk and decided to check Winston out for a cow this year.
My hunting buddies heard about my plans and now I have 4 guys wanting to join me.
Only 2 will have valid elk tags, but all will have deer tags.
I planned on driving down from my home which is only 1/2 hour away, but with the gang joining me I need to find a place to camp.
I plan on scouting out a spot prior to archery season and AFTER firearm elk season.
My question is could we still get in up Salmon Creek with a trailer?
Are there more locked gates? ( I hope)
If you are a Firearm hunter, could you please point me in a good direction as far as a camping spot or where you see a few fat cows hanging out after your season?
Also does anybody know the best road to get to a gate to walk in Winters Mountain or Elk Creek?

From the KV side I think you will need to get on the 1100 to the 1130 to get to Winters. Maybe there will be more elk there in the winter, but during the early season there was not many elk and a ton of people.

On that side you may do better near the Green River and Devils Creek to Hatchet mt.

Not sure about trailer access.

My friends decided to camp at Kid Valley, I am going to check out the area this week and then head up on the opener (25th) after I drop my girls off at school.
Then spend a day "scouting" on Friday with my daughter.
Hunt hard Sat and Sun, then think about heading over to Willapa and Bear River the next weekend.

I hear it was a real mess up there on the modern opener. Bash

Kid Valley was a joke on opening day of modern firearm. I recomend that you go to green mountain in the toutle. I shot a 4x5elk, and there were plenty of elk cows

69hunter wrote:
Kid Valley was a joke on opening day of modern firearm. I recomend that you go to green mountain in the toutle. I shot a 4x5elk, and there were plenty of elk cows

I cannot hunt the Toutle..Thanks anyways

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
anyone ever hunt late in area 149,154(blue creek C) ?big paw009/23/2005 20:54 pm
When Insults Had a touch of Class:Whelland002/28/2008 08:55 am
Late season archery huntingdrenalin5887212/09/2008 19:35 pm
Idaho 26 Migration Rut HuntSerious Hunter807/31/2007 23:03 pm
New Mexico 21B ELKtimetohike510/03/2009 13:22 pm